English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: why quota? Why callhome?
why quota? Why callhome? 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Why is it needed to purchase quota to be able to use the allready purchased virtuemart-plugin, or to customize the site creation? As I have understood, these are the properties of allready purchased product - and there should be no need for disk quota at jms2win -site for creating new site.. So what is the story behind this purchasing quota - as if it brings really nothing new it seems like paying double for something I have allready paid for.. "ok now that you have purchased our product, you need to pay more to use it, for each site created" - I know this is not true always, it is possible to create new sites without purchasing quota.. but it is not clear what are we buing there actually? It is not disk quota I suppose, which quota usually refers to. It is not any service since the site runs on its own and the replication is done by allready purchased software and maybe by some our (your customers) own work over it. It is not any software since it is allready purchased (Multisites, virtuemart plugin, menuthingie, article thingie..)

Also, why is it needed for the application to call home? I mean the registration. As I have read from your site, this is because your software is not crypted. But there is also lot of other purchable software (components, modules, plugins etc) that is not crypted nor do they call home. By quick look, it not only delivers the serial number, but also at least the site info. Though not large risk, it is usually considered ALWAYS a security risk if any hidden information is sent by some installed application. I had to think twice until pressing that button. In a way I do understand that you wish to know where your software is installed and yes it is a piracy thing for you, but it really left a bad feeling about this product, even it seems to be good software in what it does. I know it is voluntary, but.. I guess you know what I mean. The patch feature calls home too I guess?
This is not a bug question nor is it any "angry customer requesting something" - this is just to inform you that even though the product may be good, it does not feel good to use it when there is these kind of things. Though, it might be just me feeling this way. But give it a thought.
seppo
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:why quota? Why callhome? 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 54
Concerning the quota, it is required to have the possibility to execute specific scripts that is generally required when you want to create a bridge with your own ecommerce application.
You can create your own bridge or script to communicate with your own system.

The Bridge for VirtueMart is a plugin that avoid you develop such specific bridge with VirtueMart application.
This can also be used as sample to create your another bridge to another eCommerce system.

The registration is required to have access to the "Check for Update".
The objective is similar a "Windows update" and is used by JMS to distribute the "Patches defintiion update".
You also have to registrer to buy website quota.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2009/03/24 22:32 By edwin2win.

Re:why quota? Why callhome? 15 Years ago Karma: 0
About the quota, I didn't quite get it so I try to clarify it a little..

So When I bout the product "Plug-in JMS bridge for VirtueMart" I bought the bride you referred to, right?
Now, as from description of that program I understood that it has the scripts needed to bridge the JMS to VirtueMart, just like in your response. But, if that "Plug-in JMS bridge for VirtueMart" allready does the job, and includes the needes scripts.. why we would need quota?
In all, what is quota here - Software? Service? Or did I understoo correctly that is is a permisson to run a script? So when purchasing it, are we purchasing permissions to do something?
If so, isn't that plugin and JMS allready doing the exact same thing? I though that by purchasing the JMS and Plug-in JMS bridge for VirtueMart we (customers) we allready purchased a permission for the same thing..

Sorry if the above is confusing, it is because the quota -issue is confusing to me
seppo
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:why quota? Why callhome? 15 Years ago Karma: 54
The website quota is required when you want to customize JMS.
One of this customization consist in using external plugin to perform additional task.

The plugin is only called when you have enabled the "billable website" and if you have available quota.
edwin2win
graph

Re:why quota? Why callhome? 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
How much does website quota cost?
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re:why quota? Why callhome? 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
When you go in the JMS settings menu, click on the quota and you will have the prices displayed.
Its depends on your current quota.
To be very simple, when you don't have quota it starts at 1.5 EUR per site and go down till 0.30 EUR per site.
You need to buy by hlock of sites (not individual sites).
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla