English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Upgrading a Joomla 1.5 Multi Site
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Upgrading a Joomla 1.5 Multi Site
Upgrading a Joomla 1.5 Multi Site 10 Years ago Karma: 0
Hi,
Back when J1.5 was new a made a multi site for a client. Now they have asked me to upgrade the whole site to latest Joomla version. Do you have som info about a scenario like that. I now the work involved with upgrading a regular 1.5 site, but not how to proceed with multisite.

I would appreciate an answer before buying a new version of the plugin and accepting the assignment.

/BR Jakob
jabbin
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Upgrading a Joomla 1.5 Multi Site 10 Years ago Karma: 0
Anyone have an idea?
jabbin
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Upgrading a Joomla 1.5 Multi Site 10 Years ago Karma: 54
Upgrading a Joomla 1.5 to a new Joomla can be done with SP Upgrade and JMS 1.3 maintenance menu.

We do not recommend using JUpgrade because it can not be executed on the slave sites and when the master is converted into a J2.5 or 3.2, you are not able to make the slave site converted.

With SP upgrade, you can build a second joomla and in fact import the data from a old joomla.

With the JMS Maintenance tool that is still "experimental", you can install a new joomla over a current one and after that have a cleanup of the old one.
In addition, with the "legacy mode" that is experimental, it is possible to make serveral joomla version working on the same DB.
For example have a joomla 1.5 and 2.5 sharing the same DB.
We did that between a Joomla 1.5.26 and J2.5.17
You can not do that with J2.5.18 or higher because the User authentication algorithm has changed between 2.5.17 and 2.5.18 that is not compatible with J1.5.26

We also have successfull created another product to only share the users between 2 different joomla version (again 1.5.26 and 2.5.17) to only share the users.

This is possible with JMS 1.3 and 2 masters sharing the same Joomla definition.

It is expected to present this new "legacy" technology at the Joomla Day Paris between the 23 and 24 may.
joomladay.fr/

The "maintenance menu" also allows verifying the DB structure between the website and and the current joomla or install SQL script.
So when the SP Upgrade can not work on an extension, JMS maintenance may help doing the migration.

Search in this forum because I think that I have already gave some detail on procedure when SP upgrade didn't exists.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Upgrading a Joomla 1.5 Multi Site 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

I know this is way off in the future, but if we configure about 30 sites in Joomla 3.3 with JMS Multisites, each site having it's own domain URL, database, and separate content/images — what would be required to migrate the entire platform with SP Upgrade, including all slave sites from J3.3 to J4.x?

How would we migrate the slave sites? All during the parent migration, or each one separately?

What would be an estimate of the time required to do this, either at once, or separately (per site)?

Please advise in detail.

Thanks!
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2014/07/23 23:19 By azurelink.Reason: modified question to be clearer

Re:Upgrading a Joomla 1.5 Multi Site 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
Concerning an upgrade from J3.3 to J4.x, we can not reply to this question as J4.x does not exists and we don't know if a migration will again be required.
Joomla said several time that they will avoid future migration like (J1.5 to J1.6).

So we can not give you an estimate for that as the info does not exists yet and the constrain with future J4.x is unknown.
In addition, the time, is depending on the existing extensions installed and the compatibility with the new version of Joomla.

Today, the upgrade from J2.5 to J3.3 does not require a migration tool like SP.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Upgrading a Joomla 1.5 Multi Site 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks Edwin -- I guess what I am wanting to know is whether a migration will require individual migrations for each slave site or if it can be executed once on the parent for all of the slave sites?

In our model, we will be keeping the site content in separate databases and separate image directories for each slave site. Will this require that each slave site be migrated separately with SP Upgrade?
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2014/07/29 17:45 By azurelink.

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla