English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: integrating existing sites
integrating existing sites 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello.

I have one splash page: mydomain.com (this is a static onepage site)
2 existing slave sites which use the same template: mydomain.com/2013 and mydomain.com/2014
and the new mydomain.com/2015 yet to be built. Again this will use the same template.

I can't find documentation for setting up of existing sites as slave sites.
Is there are relevant documentation?

What do i do?
Use one of my existing sites as a master site? Which one? Or start fresh.
Guidance as to what I need to do in what order would be helpful.

Note: I like separate db's for each site.

Thanks.
slrock01
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: integrating existing sites 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
The concept of JMS is based on the sharing
- Sharing of the same Joomla application (php code)
- Sharing of the content of a limited number of extensions. (MySQL tables).

To help doing the setup of slave sites, JMS is delivered with several JMS Templates rules that use our default recommendation as explained in several powerpoint present in our documentation (ie. www.jms2win.com/en/documentation/doc_det...-day-strasbourg-2012)

You can install JMS on an existing website event if we recommend to keep the master websites empty and without any data.
In general, we recommend to consider the master as a repository or a library where you just install the extension without any data.

After that, you create the slave sites that will use the Joomla php code present in the master.

You mentioned that you have 2 existings /2013 and /2014 websites.
The problem is "existing".
As you need to share the same joomla application (php code), if you want to "import" the current existing website to convert them into a slave site, this mean that you have to ensure that the existing website use exactly the same Joomla version and extension that are present in the master.

In effect, as you will remove all the PHP code from the slave site to re-use the one present in the master, you need to have the code present in the master with exactly the same version (to be sure that the DB structure or layout of the MySQL tables are identical).

If this is the case, you will be able to create slave sites into the master to receive the existing /2013 and /2014 directories.

You will be able to re-use your current "configuration.php" to re-use the current DBs.
The additional thing to which you will have to take care when "importing" existing website as slave site is the specific files and folders on the disk like "images", media, video, ...
edwin2win
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla