English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Master become slave - forced to a new installation
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Master become slave - forced to a new installation
Master become slave - forced to a new installation 10 Years ago Karma: 0
Hello,

For a mistake in a template, I've created a slave site that inlcudes the master website in his list.
After that I concerned about that master become a slave site!

For that I change the website list in the new site and after that I erase it completely (db and files).

Now, multisites force me to reinstall a new Joomla installation over my master site.
For avoid a new installation and lose all the work I've done on my master site, I disable multisites component by put a empty file named multisites_disable.php in the includes directory. I've also renamed the installation directory to installation.old

But my answer is... how I can go back and restore the master as it is and avoid a new installation on it?

Help me please!!!
wfi
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Master become slave - forced to a new installation 9 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 54
When you have added the master URL in the list of slave site, an alternative method is to use another domains or more frequently a subdomain that point to the master.

So that, you can access your master and fix the slave sites that contain the URL of the master.

Becarefull when you try to delete a slave site because this delete the directory.
So cross-check that you will not delete the files and folders of your master.

You can effectivelly use the rescue "multisites_disable.php" method that require that you remove (better rename) the /installation directory to access your master.
In this case, you should also be able to enter in the master.

If you unzip an original Joomla zip file over the current installation, the only thing that you will have when entering in the master will be to re-install the patches.
Normally, your DB should not be touched.

Before doing anything, it would be good that you perform a backup (just in case).

If you just have created a new slave site with the URL of the master, another method cosists to go in the /multisites/XXXX directory where XXXX is the site ID and inside rename the "conf_multisites.php" into something else (just to be able restore it).
This should remove the site from the list of JMS.

Another method consists in the Edit of the file /multisites/config_multisites.php and temporarly change the URL of the master present in the list.
Becarefull that this file is rebuilt each time that you save a slave site definition in the master.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Master become slave - forced to a new installation 9 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
How I solved the problem:

I follow what you said about rename installation directory and then access the master site.
I've not used another subdomain pointing the master.

After I access the master, without modify any files, I access Multisite component, check for patches.
I apply the patches, and then I renamed the multisite_disable.php tring restore the master.

After that, tring to access the master, the system show me a installation page, but at the last step. (???)

I confirm that... and its all ok!!! the master was restored!

Thank you for your help!!!

wfi
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla