English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Slave template and sharing not working
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Slave template and sharing not working
Re:Slave template and sharing not working 5 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello Edwin,

Thanks again for your detailed answer and beautiful support. You are unchanged and just great in giving support, which I already know it from your telephone conversation before eight years.

>> 3) As explaines, JMS can share several extensions and is not limited to the users.

Before many years I have used the JMS extension. I stopped using it. I just started using it before a couple of days.

Earlier, it was possible to choose extensions to share or not.

I did not find such an option any more in the template or later on under Tools, although you mention that this is possible. In the sharing tab, I can only see that users table is shared i.e. linked.

There was no where an option under the Tools menu to choose which component I would like to have it shared and to be linked to master db.

Currently, I could only un-install some components from the master and remove it from slave.

Am I missing something here?

Perhaps this may be another procedural mistake I may have made and omitted a step. Could you pl. explain, if I made a mistake of understanding and if other components could also be shared?
jms2win_user
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2018/09/14 11:49 By jms2win_user.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hello Edwin,

I checked it there is a free component available to create SQL queries for VIEWS in a slave database. This is not the case.

It is such a big pain and a time consuming job to manually create views for many tables, like #__categories, #__languages, #__content, #__contentitem_tag_map, #__content_frontpage, #__content_rating, #__content_types, etc. and creating SQL Queries for generating VIEWS in the slave database to make links to the master database.

I was wondering why have you not offered such a feature in the last ten years because this is very important to have such a sharing functionality later on after a slave database has been created.
jms2win_user
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Slave template and sharing not working 5 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 54
3) The choice to select which extension to share is present in the JMS Template rule (sharing tabs).
If you don't see any other extension for the sharing, that means that you don't have more.
You can go also in the JMS Tools menu and in the top right "help" button, you have the list of extension defined in JMS.
You can go directly on the page here.
www.jms2win.com/en/list-of-extensions?vi...id=269&Itemid=53
You have columns that tells you what can be shared per joomla version.

So check the list of extension and if it marks as not shared, this means that no body request its sharing or that the sharing is not possible.
If you see an extension that was marked as shared in a older joomla version and that you want that we redo the checking for a more recent version of joomla, send us the package in attachment of an email and specify that you want a review for sharing and for which joomla version. If this is possible, we will add the definition in JMS.

Concerning the VIEW, we don't have tool that build that and we don't know if other extension would do that.
If you want to do that manually, see the MySQL reference manual for the syntax.

What we can do is create a specific plugin - just for you - that allows you creating such kind of specific sharing rule via an XML file.
We do that with 1h of support that you can order at
www.jms2win.com/en/joomla-multisite?page...35&category_id=1
In this case, you will be able to define your own extensions and own sharing rules that will appear in the JMS Template (sharing tabs).
edwin2win
graph

Hello,

Thanks Edwin for your support and for your offer to develop a specific plug-in.

From the links I can see that you are one of the very few people who knows about Joomla components, modules and plug-ins, especially when one sees the in-depth overview of all these things in a table form.Just amazing. Your efforts are just excellent.

I am extremely impressed.

Thats actually very disappointing. You deserve to be a lead developer for Joomla core. With your excellence, you would be the best suited person to modify Joomla core and make all changes to react to Multi-sites. Horrible thing is that you also have to earn your living and such an activity will not offer you financial advantage.

For certain components, I want a full sharing and for others, I only want it in parts to have the same IDs cross the databases. To do coding of this kind, one requires many days and weeks (and not hours) of work. Looking to a one time generation of SQL Query for VIEWS so easily with GUI tools, this is not worth for "one client". If there are a thousand clients who may want to do such things, then it makes sense. Consequently, there is a ZERO change to have a specific plug-in to be developed.

I am doing these things manually with certain GUI Tools on MySQL for creating VIEWS for connection to masterDB. I do have many MySQL GUI Tools, like dbforge, Navicat, etc. I have generated VIEWS for those tables in the masterDB. I have exported the structure of these VIEWS of master tables to be shared. I dropped these tables and created VIEWS in slaveDB from the SQL Monitor in phpMyAdmin.

With this procedure, I have ported the TABLE structure from masterDB ---> VIEWS structure in slaveDB. Everything work fine. Further, in each of these steps, I have saved a generic SQL code for installing VIEWS in slaveDB. Then I can run SQL queries for creating VIEWS in all other slaveDB, where I want to have things shared. Thus, I only need to substitute four values in my SQL queries definition file for a new slaveDB. Then apply in the new one.

Exactly that is what your extension JMS does through plug-ins. It creates links to masterDB. I would love to have this part working in JMS so that I do not have to do this manually.

The best way to develop such a functionality would be to make Steps of configuration and an explanation of each step after checking certain parameters. Thats one of the most important thing I had discussed with you in our last conversation on telephone before eight years. I had told you that your clients will definitely become frustrated if you do not follow a stepped installation of JMS slaves.

The sharing button in Tools and Template is in there. But that does not work in my case or it is not supposed to work the way I want. Let me explain.

I have a master DB with basic functions i.e. default core 3.8.12 installed. Then I cloned the masterDB with sharing of users. For sharing, I had to create the VIEWS for all users table manually in the slaveDB.

Then I installed K2 in masterDB.

In the masterDB--->Tools Menu "after choosing" the masterDB, it offers to populate the K2 component into the slaveDB. Thats not what I want. I do not want to create a new component in there and populate it.

In the masterDB--->Tools Menu "after choosing" the slaveDB, it shows in the Components--->K2 under "Site" a plus sign and under Action a drop-down with values "install Extension/share Extension".

After choosing "share Extension" for K2,

slaveOne.com.....Option.....Action.....From site.....Overwrite.....Status
com_k2...........com_k2.....share......:master_db:...Box (read-only) x
Invalid action (with Red coloured background)

In the Template for creating slave domains, it does show sharing of K2 but only in read only modus. This is because the slaveDB has been created already. So one could only apply sharing manually from Tools Menu, which is what I did.

Thus, sharing is not possible for me.

In the earlier versions this part was working very easily. Not any more. Hence the question about if the sharing works or if I am missing something.
jms2win_user
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Hello Edwin,

I have now updated to the latest of 1.3.74 Medium and patches of 1.3.67, both latest from yesterday.

I still am _NOT_ able to share K2 from masterDB to slaveDB.

In my post above, I mentioned that I get "Invalid action (with Red coloured background)" error.

The same error I get after update also. The K2 component is not in slave. Thus it offers me to either install or share. But I cannot share and I do not want to install.

Just for a trial, I tried to install it too and I got the same error.

Can it be that there is some change required on my server locally? However, I could not figure it out because almost all other parts of this component are working without problems, especially after I ironed the error of openbase_dir and template config.

I think the best is to use JMS for generating links on the slave and do all sharing manually. This is really a bad thing but I will have to do so, it seems as I am not even able to share the simplest and most common known component to make it work...
jms2win_user
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2018/09/17 01:05 By jms2win_user.

Re:Slave template and sharing not working 5 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 54
Concerning all the specific requirements, I think understand partially what you would like but this require a specific development that I don't want to include in JMS due to all the side effects and potential increase of support that this will probably leads.
As I already said that allow creating views without any control is dangerous in terms of consistency.

Concerning K2, you said that you can not share its content.
Would you please send me in attachment of an email the K2 package that you are using to let me try reproducing it.
You let suppose that there is a regression bug somewhere.
So I would like that you precise with which version of Joomla and which version of JMS that was working to help me comparing and searching this potential regression bug.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1234
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla