English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Help With Templates
Help With Templates 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the great app. I'm having a hard time using a template on slave site. It seems that the user table has synced fine, however when i choose a template in the newly created slave it effects the master site, and not the slave.

What could i have done wrong? it seem that the config file is using the jos_ prefix which seems like a conflict.

Can you please provide me with some guidence.

Robert Wright
robertwri32
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Help With Templates 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
Dear Robert,

All depends on the platform, Unix or Windows and if the Symbolic Link is allowed.

I will just give here the case of Unix with Symbolic Link allowed.
For the other cases, I suggest that you read the user manual that explain all the cases.

When Symbolic Link is allowed, and that you want to have a specfic theme (template) folder, you can use for example the following configuration:
- Deploy folder = {site_dir}
- themes folder = templates

In this case, JMS will create a directory "templates" into the {site_dir} and all the existing templates will be created as a Symbolic Link into the "templates" directory.
This means that they start to exists like as a share with the master website.
You can at this moment un-install the themes and re-install them to convert the Symbolic Link into an independent themes.

To know which prefix is used by a website, you can have a look in the JMS manage site or go into your slave site and select the "global configuration" menu where you have in the system panel the parameters of the database connection.
This may help you check the table prefix used by your website.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Help With Templates 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks Edwin,

I can tell you that symbolic links are available. In my case I'm using the same database, after following the tutorial last night, it has populated the database correctly.

I will attempt your suggestion. and continue to crack away at getting this correct.

Let me know if you'd like to take a look at my config file

I tried what you asked and got this error message

Unable to create the symbolic link [administrator] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/administrator].
Unable to create the symbolic link [afterdeck] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/afterdeck].
Unable to create the symbolic link [components] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/components].
Unable to create the symbolic link [includes] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/includes].
Unable to create the symbolic link [installation] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/installation].
Unable to create the symbolic link [language] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/language].
Unable to create the symbolic link [libraries] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/libraries].
Unable to create the symbolic link [media] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/media].
Unable to create the symbolic link [modules] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/modules].
Unable to create the symbolic link [multisites] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/multisites].
Unable to create the symbolic link [plugins] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/plugins].
Unable to create the symbolic link [rob] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/rob].
Unable to create the symbolic link [whoop_images] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/whoop_images].
Unable to create the symbolic link [xmlrpc] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/xmlrpc].
Unable to create the symbolic link [AC_RunActiveContent.js] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/AC_RunActiveContent.js].
Unable to create the symbolic link [deckback.tgz] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/deckback.tgz].
Unable to create the symbolic link [error_log] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/error_log].
Unable to create the symbolic link [fantversion.php] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/fantversion.php].
Unable to create the symbolic link [favicon.ico] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/favicon.ico].
Unable to create the symbolic link [geert.html] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/geert.html].
Unable to create the symbolic link [hello.php] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/hello.php].
Unable to create the symbolic link [hello.txt] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/hello.txt].
Unable to create the symbolic link [hello.zip] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/hello.zip].
Unable to create the symbolic link [htaccess.txt] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/htaccess.txt].
Unable to create the symbolic link [images.tgz] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/images.tgz].
Unable to create the symbolic link [intro.html] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/intro.html].
Unable to create the symbolic link [preview.swf] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/preview.swf].
Unable to create the symbolic link [robots.txt] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/robots.txt].
Unable to create the symbolic link [songlist.xml] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/songlist.xml].

Any other suggestions?
robertwri32
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2009/07/08 16:48 By robertwri32.Reason: Update

Re:Help With Templates 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
This is a permission problem.
Two possibilities:
1) Either you have no permission to access the files
[/home/theafter/public_html/site/ .....]
2) or you can not create the link into the slave site directory.

Case 1), I suspect that the owner and group of the
[/home/theafter/public_html/site/ .....] is different to
the [/home/theafter/public_html/site/MULTISITES/.......]
directory.
Try to use a recursive chmod 777 on all the directories like
[/home/theafter/public_html/site/] to give
the permission to access the files.

Case 2) idem but with the multisites directory and children
[/home/theafter/public_html/site/MULTISITES/.......]

The most frequent reason is a problem of owner and group of files that are
different.

Contact the administrator of your unix machine to ask him help you solve the permission issue.
If you want that I have a look on your server, this is possible with billable support.
You can order such support on www.jms2win.com/download?page=shop.produ...35&category_id=1
edwin2win
graph

Re:Help With Templates 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello Edwin
very Great info! it is very much elaborated and all can easily follow up your tips easily.

Thank you for your posting
nazar2k2
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Help With Templates 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,
I´ve got the same problem:
I installed Joomla Multi Sites Version 1.2.x in a linux server with plesk 8.6 and I´ve got symbolic links allowed, I know that the owner and group from directory website & ../multisite are the same because I can see that using plesk.

I try to use recursive chmod 777 on all directories but when I create a new website without domain alias (in a sub-directory, for example from front-end) the directory appears by defect with chmod 755 & don´t permit create a symbolic link (appear "Unable to create the symbolic link [administrator] -> [/home/theafter/public_html/site/administrator]"...).

Also I try to change ftp umask to 000 but it dont work.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
celso
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla