English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Share all functions but not the content
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Share all functions but not the content
Share all functions but not the content 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi all,

I have created a master site with all the functions ready to go but not the content(No content). Now that I have purchased the JMS, I'm wondering if I could copy the whole site to a bunch of slaves(use another DB than the master DB). Ideally, the slave sites would have all the same functions as the master site but not the content, For which, I will add different things to different slave sites. Also, I need to synchronize the CB user table among all the sites.

Please advise me on how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Ning
wangning
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Share all functions but not the content 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
Dear Ning,

Yes you can do that if you create a website that will be used for the replication and that will not have any content.
This website will be used to replicate the other website.
See the procedure on how to share user as explained in the video present in the tutorial step 16.
www.jms2win.com/tutorial

This procedure show the concept of sharing.
You will see how to create this "common" slave site that will be used to create the other slave site and that will share the same user. With JMS, you SHARE and NOT synchronize. This mean that the information is present only once and is not replicated.
As this "parent" slave site will be use to create the children slave site then up to you to decide of the extension that you install and which content you want to put in each slave site that you will create.
This will also help you propagate the installation of extension all the children websites.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2009/08/07 07:56 By edwin2win.

Re:Share all functions but not the content 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your timely explanation.

I had looked through the tutorial before I asked the question. The tutorial teaches how to create a fresh slave site 1 and copy that slave to many others. However, I don't want to create a new fresh slave, instead I just want to create an identical slave site as the master site(which already have many functions ready to go) and from that point, I can copy it to many others. All those sites will share the same users but they will have different content.

So, in a word, I want to copy the one I have had to many others and all those potentially will share the community builder.

I don't know if I explain this clearly.

Thanks,
Ning
wangning
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Share all functions but not the content 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
You can either select the master website in JMS template or start to replicatet he master website to create the equivalent of the fresh slave site (but with exact copy of the master).

The problem to replicate the master website is that you replicate everything including the multisites component that should only be installed on the master website.

So I suggest to start replicating the master website in "slave 1" instead of creating a fresh slave site.
You can create a JMS template rule to just replicate the master.
Here it is some basic rule for the master replication
template id = replic_master
domain = {site_url}/multitisites/{site_id}
Template site : Select the "master db"
Deploy folder = {site_dir}

Once you have the template, create the "slave 1" using the "replic_master" template instead of creating a fresh slave site.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla