English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

(solved) Help needed with sharing users
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: (solved) Help needed with sharing users
(solved) Help needed with sharing users 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
ok this is my issues. I just purchased this and watched the video multiple times still I cannot figure it out as they use slave_1 and such with for some reason is confusing me i guess

I this is what i want to do i one master site. then lets say 5 subdomain site that all get the user in formation from the one master site. So my guess will register at the master site and be logged in automatically to all subdomain sites after loggin in to master site. i do want each site to have it own database so i can make each one unique as far as site template goes.

Mow how do I do that what do i first and which fields do i fill in the component. alll i have done so far is install fresh copy of joomla and install component the subdomain sites have nothing yet but the subdomain folder created and empty inn the root.
lexxy2000
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/10/04 04:26 By lexxy2000.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Help needed with sharing users 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
As explained in the tutorial video 16
www.jms2win.com/tutorial#jms12x-16

In your case you have to create a JMS templates
Template ID = share_master
Put a domain name like: sub-domain.masterdomain.com
You could write a rule like {site_id}.masterdomain.com

Select the site: master DB
Deploy directory: could be something that is based on the sub-domain
This could be something like /home/...../public_html/{site_dir}
All depĂȘnds the rule that you will have decided when you create a sub-domain in your hosting administration tool like cPanel.
The deploy directory rule must be consistent with the rule that you will have decided to apply when creating a sub-domain on your hosting server.

As you also want to have specific template folder, you can also define a simiar rule to the deploy folder
/home/...../public_html/{site_dir}/templates

Have a look also in the File and Folder tabs (JMS 1.2.7 or higher) give you the possibility to decide how to create this directory (from special rule, copy or unzip).

Once you have defined the rule you can create the sub-domain on your hosting server (cPanel, godaddy, ...)
Ensure that directory is empty.

Once you have the sub-domain and its specific directory created, go in JMS manage site and create the slave site using your template.
Soecify a new DB, user and login.
Perhaps you have to create the DB before you use it.
All depends if the MySQL user has the permission to create the DB dynamically.

If you want that we configure your server, this is also possible with our billable support
You can order such support on
www.jms2win.com/download?page=shop.produ...35&category_id=1
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2009/09/30 14:29 By edwin2win.

Re:Help needed with sharing users 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Ok thanks will try it shortly hopefully I can get it working and jms can do what I hope to accomplish. Just a thought when u do your tutorials might be a good idea to use the concept that the master site can used to share users. I was under the whole impression that you had to create a slave site and that was the only way to share users was through another slave site.
lexxy2000
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

We never recommend to share the master website for security reason.

We prefer to recommend to have the master website as a confidential domain.
You should better consider the master website as an empty website that is used as repository of all the possible extension available for the slave sites.

The security is based on the security of all the extensions installed.
Joomla is secured but some extensions maybe less secured.
Therefore we think better to keep the master website that by definition has all the extensions available as confidential.
The slave site can only install part of the extensions available from this master website repository.

This explain why we present the sharing from an empty website and not from the master website.
This empty website maybe the "main" public website (not the master website).

In addition, JMS should not be installed in the slave site because the management of the slave site from a slave site is not necessary a functionaltity that should be used.
We have disabled some functionalities in this case to avoid doing wrong things.

If you want to share the master website, this also mean that you will replicate the JMS extension that is not recommended.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Help needed with sharing users 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
when you say master website as a confidential website how would i accomplish that. would they all not have to be in the same hosting account on the same server for jms to function as it goes by root path when creating slave site.

the only way I see this being possible is to create a subdomain and use a htaccess file to password protect that folder and prevent robots from crawling it is that what your saying.
lexxy2000
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

In general to create a confidential master website, it can be a sub-domain of an existing website.

So when you have a domain like www.domain.com you just have to create a master.domain.com or when you are hosting several domain you can also buy other domain and later add the existing domain to your hosting (like you will do with a slave site).

You can effectivelly use sub-domaini and and a robot.txt to avoid crawling ad also add an .htaccess with password to control the access.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla