English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Switching Shared to Dedicated Server 500 Error
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Switching Shared to Dedicated Server 500 Error
Switching Shared to Dedicated Server 500 Error 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

I was zipping along using your wonderful product when I ran into an issue with my hosting provider. It appeared that the length of time required to run the processes to deploy the slave site was longer that the server cache time out and so I was urged to upgrade to their dedicated server....which I did.

Now that i am finally transferred to their server and opertaing my sites, I now receive a 500 Internal Server Error when trying to access the newly deployed slave site. I read on the forum that this is a permissions error and Siteground is eager to work with me to correct the problem but I cannot find the information as to which files need to be set to which permissions so that the new slave site can be accessed automatically upon creation. Can you please tell me what files should be corrected and what their permissions should be?

Thank you so much,

Sondra
slboone
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Switching Shared to Dedicated Server 500 Error 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
Internal Server Error occurs sometimes when the root directory has a permission 777 or 775.
Some server requires to have their root directory like 755.
So check your root document directory (ie. public_html) permission.

When you create a domain or subdomain, you can check if the hosting server is correctly configured with the "hello world".
Install the hello.php and check if you also have the Internal Error.
This can be tested without joomla.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Switching Shared to Dedicated Server 500 Error 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
When you speak of root directory, do you mean the directory of the Master site or the public_html directory?

Also, I have requested an email for the download link to update my files at least 5 times within the past two hours and I still have not received the email. Are you having problems with your mail server today? I'm stuck dead in the water without this.

Thanks,

Sondra
slboone
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Switching Shared to Dedicated Server 500 Error 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
I also followed the instructions for the "hello world" file and it created the symbolic link with no problems. What I found was that the new index.php had permissions set for 666 instead of 644. when I changed them to 644 the file loaded correctly. Why is this being set to 666 and how to I correct it so that the slave site can be accessed immediately after creation?

Thanks,

Sondra
slboone
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Switching Shared to Dedicated Server 500 Error 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
The permission of this files is the one either attribute by your FTP account when using the FTP layer or the permission attribute by your system when creating any files when FTP layer is not enable.

JMS does not modify the permission of this files like it can do it with the directory when using the multisites.cfg.php configuration MULTISITES_DIR_RIGHTS parameter.

The only current possibility would be to add a "chmod" when creating a slave site from the front-end. In this case, when billable website is enable and quota is available, you can execute addition script and therefore add the "chmod".

Perhaps you should check the default permission attributes using by your unix system when creating a file.
Contact your server administrator to ask him how to change that on your system.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla