English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: moving to a live server?
moving to a live server? 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
We are currently working on a development server (run by someone other than myself so it's a bit out of my control) and when the sites are ready to go, they will move the site to a live environment.

So what do I have to do for this instance. I'm sure I'll have to update some settings to reflect the new database/url names.

Do you have documentation or a tutorial for this?

Or do you have a list of places we should look that we should change? I'm hoping that is all that is needed is just a few locations to chance url and database stuff.
jrosenbaum
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:moving to a live server? 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1
Please allow me to jump into this post as we also need to move some JMS web sites into a new JMS set-up at a new domain within the same server.

Edwin, you have in some posts said there is several posts at this forum which explain how to do it. The only one I can find is posts which descripe how to move a non JMS web site (a stand alone) into JMS. I can't find any one which descripe how to move a web site from one JMS set-up to another JMS set-up.

The reason for us to move is that we on our Hostgator dedicated server started to test JMS 1.1 and also created two web site which we made live site so they are in production on our first JMS set-up. We now want the two web sites to became part of a large portal project we are building at our second JMS set-up.

Our first JMS set-up is on one domain and a dedicated IP address and our second JMS set-up is also on its own domain and a dedicated IP adddres. When we have moved our two web sites to our second JMS set-up (our portal project) we want to move the domain where our first JMS set-up is at the moment so it become an add-on at the above portal project on our second JMS set-up.

Both our JMS set-up are based on JMS 1.2.5 - The two web site we want to move are on the same database which properly make it more difficult.

I would like to suggest to you Edwin that you should use your FAQ more by updating it which guidelines like the one we are asking for here at this post and guidelines which you have been giving in many posts and some you have been reapeating over and again. That would save your time and your customers would be able to find it much easier.

Thank you,
FH45
FH45
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/04/02 01:53 By FH45.

Re:moving to a live server? 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 54
FH45, Thank you for the suggestion to add something new in the FAQ to help the customer.
I will add that to my todo list that is currently very long.

Concerning the move of an existing website under JMS, this is a manual procedure that is specific to each customer.
The idea is to install all the require extension on the master website before re-using the DB with all its data.
As in the DB you may reference images, or specific stuf, they must be copied manually into the target directory.
So it is advised to have put the specific thing in very few places to simplify the migration joB

When you have a master with all the extension require for the future new slave, you can create a "fresh slave" site in JMS.
In fact, you don't need to create it completly as the objective is to copy the current "configuration.php" file present in the "standalone" website into the "deploy folder" of the slave site. When you have copied the "configuration.php" file, you can edit it manually and change the tmp, log path.
Perhaps also the DB connection if you have copied the DB into another place.
When done, you should be able to connect on the admin of the slave site with the new DB.

You will have to check that you have correctly installed all the extension required and that all the configuration of all the extension are correct.
edwin2win
graph

Re:moving to a live server? 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
To confirm... I have to install Joomla and the extensions, etc for the move?

in my situation I am not in control of the host, and the host is the client's agency. They insisted on setting it up this way so they worked on a dev server and then will move it all to the live server.

So if they move all the files and the database, and we connect it in certain parts, shouldn't it work? I was just looking for where those areas would be.

for instance, I know to move a regular Joomla site, you really just change the configuration.php file.

in JMS, I saw there were domain references and path references. are there specific files or something I need to do to make sure I change them. Or is a new Joomla reinstall needed?

if it's just changing those files, a list of those files/sections in JMS would be great.
jrosenbaum
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/04/05 22:40 By jrosenbaum.

Re:moving to a live server? 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 54
If you are moving a website that share extension, you will have to take care about the table links between the DBs.
If the DB name and table prefix is modified in production, you will have to recreate all the "shared" extensions. Becarefull about the "shared users" table.

Concerning the URL and information present in JMS, they will be updated when you will change the domain name present in the slave site definition.
edwin2win
graph

Re:moving to a live server? 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
wow, it's more difficult than I though. I may need to enlist your services to make sure I do it right.

My setup is one master sight on a database, and the 2 slaves share another database. I don't think we would change the prefix, but the database name may change, along with the server name. I bet we could keep the database names the same, but it may be in a different location. if I can keep the db names and prefixes the same, could that save some steps?

I was hoping they could copy the files from the server, copy the databases, and then I could change the names in the config and other files in JMS.

Basically if there's a way to do it with minimal issues, what would it be? Because I can tell them to do certain things when moving it to another server.
jrosenbaum
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla