English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Got all websites working, but I have questions...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Got all websites working, but I have questions...
Re: Got all websites working, but I have questions... 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 54
With all new application there is a lerning curves.
I strongly suggest that you start by trying reproduce the samples provided in the tutorial video.
That will help you doing more sophisticated configuration like the one you require.

In you requirement, you want to move an existing website with its existing DB.
This is more complex and you must be more fluent with JMS before doing that.
You must understand how JMS is working that does not seems the case yet.

The fist element is to be able configure your hosting server with the subdomain and re-use the SAME directory path into JMS slave site deploy folder.
While you will not be able to do that correctly, this is a non sense to try explain you the more complex things that you have to do to move an existing website with its existing DB.

Concerning the blank page, this is frequently related to a PHP syntax error.
You can generally find the information into a file "error_log" present in the root or in the adminsitrator directory.
When you have the error, you need to read the source of the module, plugin, component that generate the error to understand why.

See our previous reply to the advised on the structure
www.jms2win.com/forum/24-joomla-multi-si...lt-to-configure#3796
edwin2win
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2010/04/03 12:18 By edwin2win.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Got all websites working, but I have questions... 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Dear Edwin -
Okay, I've got things working pretty well here. I thought I'd provide you some more feedback about my situation, as it might help you in troubleshooting others and possibly enhancing the software.

1. Blank Pages problem

As mentioned in an earlier post, I've figured out the blank pages problem. You write the new "configuration.php" files with "tinymce" as the editor. This assumes the user has "tinymce" installed. My editor is "jce". If I were programming this, I would look at the templates editor setting and duplicate that, rather than forcing "tinymce".

2. Bugs with JCal

This turned out to be a configuration problem between the two websites. The master website had been upgraded to the latest version of JCal, while the slave had not. This is NOT your problem, but an important question to ask of people who are experiencing problems with extensions is "Are all the extensions utilizing the same build?" Just FYI...

3. Joomla "install" overwriting existing files

My workaround on this is to simply back up the data and then after the multi-site install to drop all the tables and reinstall the backup. That takes care of the problem totally. If it were my software, I would give the user a third option on that screen that asks about deleting or backing up mySQL tables. It would say "Do not touch existing tables!". But that's also possibly a philosophical difference between our programming styles, as with #1 above.

On the whole, I'm sorry to have been such a pain in the ass, but I REALLY needed this to work and I was on a deadline to do so.

-- John Kiernan
kiernan7
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla