English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Success!!! But a question...
Success!!! But a question... 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Thanks for all your help Edwin...

I've got 7 slaves sites now pointing to the master template site and they are all working fine... except for one thing.

I am using symbolic links on the plugins folder for all of the slaves. However, ONE of my slave sites has a slightly different configuration and I need to use customized content in the "\plugins\content" folder.

I *thought* this was like "inheritance" and all I had to do was copy the customized files into the slave folder. However, that overwrites the contents of the Master Template folder the slave folder is inheriting from.

How do I "break" a symbolic link so that I can then drop in modified content in the slave website? I looked around in CPanel, but it doesn't seem to show anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

-- John Kiernan
kiernan7
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Success!!! But a question... 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 54
If you want to remove a symbolic link on your disk, you can do it with a FTP tool or SSH terminal if the cPanel "file manager" does not show it.
Becarefull that you probably have to create a special "JMS template" to mention the directory that should not be "symbolic link".
If you decide to copy a directory, up to you to update it manually. JMS does NOT perform any synchronisation and data comparaison.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Success!!! But a question... 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Edwin -
Whenever I go into the slave site via WS FTP Pro (the FTP I have), if I upload to the slave site, because of the symbolic link, it copies it to the master folder of the same name. I do not have SSH access at this time. I am trying to figure out how to disable the symbolic link in the slave folder. I suppose I could uninstall the slave site and then change the setting on the template to NOT create a symbolic link for the plugins folder and then install the new website. But shouldn't there be a way to disable an existing symbolic link?
-- John
kiernan7
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

If a symbolic link already exists, the only way is to delete it and rebuild its equivalent based on a copy of the existing one in the master.

Ensure that you are correctly working on a link and not on the physical directory to avoid delete your master file.
For the test, you can start to rename the symbolic link before rebuild the new directory.

The way that a directory is create is defined in the JMS websites templates. See "folders and files" tabs
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2010/04/08 16:18 By edwin2win.

Re: Success!!! But a question... 14 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
>>you can start to rename the symbolic link

But what is the name of the symbolic link? It is simply the name of the directory it points to? When I look at it in file manager, it doesn't say something like "plugins.lnk" or the link. To rename something, you must know the original name, right?
-- John
kiernan7
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

A symbolic link is like a "shortcut" on windows.
So change the name of the symbolic like consists to rename for explain "plugin" into "plugin_old".
You just have checked the "plugin" is a link and not a physical directory.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla