English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Initial Set up Questions
Initial Set up Questions 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Primary Question - Can someone point me to a tutorial or thread that shows the steps to map a slave (domain1.com) to a master (domain2.com)? I have seen the tutorials on using subdomains, but I am not finding a clear example when mapping a domain to the master. Make sense?

Secondary Questions - More just looking for advice on how someone with experience using JMS would set up my structure. Below is a brief sample of our structure:

This is a 3 tier structure. We will have a domain name as our primary. For example:

www.sportscentral.com
    We then have 9 sites that come off of this domain. For example:

www.watersports.com, www.airsports.com, www.snowsports.com, etc
    The final tier will be the use of subdomains off the tier two sites. For example:

www.rafting.watersports.com, www.surfing.watersports.com, etc

We are basically looking for any advice you 'experts' might have from setting up the relationships to how the databases are structured. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
dx_admin
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Initial Set up Questions 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
1) If you are using cPanel, use the addOn domain to create the domain and provide a "document root" directory.
Follow our recommendation in tutorial video 0.b slide 21-24 that suggest how to naming the directories (document root) to ensure that you have a specific directory for each website.
When you have know the full path where is located your domain, you can give it in the "deployment folder" of JMS like illusatrated in video CP-04 (subdomains).

This is a cPanel (or other admin tool) configuration and you just have to provide in JMS the value that you have setup in your admin tool.

Apply the video 0.b slide 21-24 for the directory structure.
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-0b
edwin2win
graph

Re: Initial Set up Questions 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks for the response! I tried that already and didn't have any luck - that is why I didn't think it was for a domain.

I will give it another try and pay attention to what I am doing so I can ask better questions if I get stuck again.

Thanks again.
dx_admin
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Initial Set up Questions 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I am not getting something here - not sure what step I am missing, but when I try to set up the domain using the 'Addons Domain' section of cPanel I am getting an error message that states - "Error from park wrapper: You cannot park your main domain!”

Below I am trying to take this step by step. Can you please fill in the blanks

For this example we will use www.master.com as the main site with the Joomla installation. Our goal is to get www.slave1.com set up as a secondary website. I followed the directions via the User Manual or at least I thought I did.

I have a VPS with HostGator and all my domains are up and working correctly.

Create an Addon Domain (this is the cpanel of www.slave1.com)

New Domain: slave1.com
Subdomain/FTP Username: anyname
Document Root: /public_html/master (or master.com)
Password: password

I have tried several different iterations of this. I have watched the videos, but I am just not seeing this correctly. Any help would be appreciated.
dx_admin
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Initial Set up Questions 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
The cPanel addOn domain is used to add other domain than the "primary domain" assigned with you cPanel account.

So I suppose that you are trying to setup your primary domain and not an additional domain to your cPanel.

If you are using the "primary domain" as slave site, in this case, cPanel assign you "root" directory that is general something like /home/account/public_html

So if you want in JMS create a slave site deployed in this directory, you just have to specify the full path in the "deployment folder" field.

If you follow our recommandation in the video 0.b slide 21 to 24, the value for a cPanel addon domain are

cPanel addon domain
domain = slave1.com
Subdomain/FTP = slave1
Document root = domains/slave1.com/public_html

In JMS
Site ID = slave1
Domain = www.slave1.com, slave1.com
Deployment folder = [HOME]/domains/slave1.com/public_html
Replace [HOME] by the home directory of you cPanel account (something like /home/XXXX where XXXX is you general your cPanel login)
edwin2win
graph

Re: Initial Set up Questions 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Viveuk,

COMPONENT:
You can now map your new domain (foobar.com,www.foobar.com) to the directory '/srv/www/lighttpd/j25_base/multisites/Foo'.

DOCUMENTATION:
When the new domain names are correctly routed to your Joomla directory ('/srv/www/lighttpd/j25_base/'), the rest is performed by Jms Multi Sites.

You're spot on. Installation only 'fires' if the addon/subdomain is mapped to the Joomla master site's root, not the slave site's deployed directory. Mapping the addon/subdomain to the deploy directory results in the blank default index page (WSOD). Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy.

Edwin, would you please address this discrepancy between the documentation and the component specifically?
bonfiresalomon
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/06/05 15:42 By bonfiresalomon.

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla