English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: How to use JMS on Existing Websistes
How to use JMS on Existing Websistes 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,
I have already a master website (www.maindomain.com) and a few other slave websites (www.maindomain.eu, www.maindomain.fr, www.maindomain.co.uk, etc...)and am trying to simplify the administration of all these using fms. Following a previous thread posted by slsmithVN I did the following
1. Setup master site
If you're like me, you might already have a master/original site setup. Either way, once you have a master site ready, install JMS Multi site on that site (directions in videos and manual explain this process adequately). For this example, let's say I called my master site "IceCreamSite" w/ domain name "icecreamsite.com". (BTW, this isn't real )
2. Create new template.
a. Enter ID. (In my case I entered "IceCreamSlaveTemplate")
b. Select Template Site = "< Master Site >".
c. Check the box called "Share the whole site".
d. Go to "Folders and Files" tab and make desired selections. (In my case I left everything with the default selections except '.htaccess' and 'robots.txt' - I set both of these to "Copy the folder or file")
e. I left the "Sharing" tab as-is
f. Save.

3. Create the slave site.
a. Enter Site ID. (In my case I entered "IceCreamSlaveSite")
b. Enter your list of domain names. (In my case I entered "www.icecreamsite2.com" and "icecreamsite2.com")
c. Select the template you created in step #2 above from the Templates dropdown list. (In my case I selected "IceCreamSlaveSiteTemplate")
d. Check the box called "Share the whole site".
*e. Deployed Directory. Now in my case my hosting plan forces me to point all domains to my root directory, so I didn't need to enter a deployed directory. However, if you set up the domain that you are using for your slave site (in my example it was icecreamsite2.com) so that it goes to a subdirectory/folder in your hosting account, then you would need to enter the path to that directory in this Deployed Directory field. (So, in my case, had I been able to point icecreamsite2.com to a subdirectory in my hosting account called "icecreamsite2", then my Deployed Directory might have been something like "/icecreamsitemain/root/icecreamsite2")
f. Save.

After having done all these, my slave website should be the exact mirror of my main/master site.
I am pretty clear for the steps 1 and 2, where I could do exactly as slsmithVN described, but for the step 3, I am not sure about how to follow the 'Deployed Directory' step.
I thus left everything by default so I now have a subdirectory created on my host (www.maindomain.com/multisites/). The url www.mainsite.com/multisites/slavesiteID/index.php gives me the exact mirror as my mainsite, but unfortunately, what I do not understand is that if I enter my slave website url in my internet browser, it is still pointing to my slave website server, and not my main site one.

Would anyone have any hint?

Thanks a lot!
donafcna
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to use JMS on Existing Websistes 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
Your description is clear but you didn't get "mirror" of the master.
What you did it to "share the whole website" and not duplicated it (not mirrored the side).

If your hosting provider require a specific path (3.e), you have to put this value in the "deploy folder"

When you share a whole website, this is equivalent to setup a slave site with the same DB and same table prefix.

Your question at the end is not clear.
You let suppose that you are not able to access your master anymore.
Or is this the reverse.

If you share whole, you should have exactly the same content.

If you don't, this perhaps mean that your hosting server point to a place where you have another website that is not the slave site.

If you want to know the path to put in the "deploy folder", you can always use the "hello.php" that you install in the domain (or subdomain) directory of the website.
This will display the path to use.
See tutorial video 7 for the "hello world".
edwin2win
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla