English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Using Multi Sites With Wampserver
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Using Multi Sites With Wampserver
Re:Using Multi Sites With Wampserver 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Please help. I really do not understand what I am doing here. I just know there is some important point I am completely missing here. Although, I am currently working towards my CompTIA A+ certification and I am very close to getting certified, let's just assume that I am unfamiliar with Web Development, Joomla and Multi Sites in particular when helping me out. I think if you just assume that I already know a lot, then it does not help me in the slightest. I am really quite confused.

Let's just forget about that other thread where I mentioned Reseller Hosting and separating the domains under multiple accounts. Let's forget about symbolic links and think in terms of how would I do this under normal circumstances. I have changed my mind about that anyway.

I am trying to use just one database for the master and all of the slave sites. I am installing this originally on a localhost running Windows XP. I will eventually upload the site to a host on a remote server and install everything under a single account. Where do I need to start to get my Master and Slave sites configured correctly?

Please help. I am almost ready to ask for a refund--I hate to put it that way. I really am dissatisfied with this product so far, the way it is documented, and the service and support and I am receiving with it. I need a very clear explanation for this, in plain English. Thank you for your time and attention.

EDIT: Also, if there anyone else on these boards besides edwin2win that is willing to volunteer a helping hand with some good information that can resolve this problem, please do. Edwin, I am not picking on you or trying to be mean; I am just saying that there is some communication barrier between us and some point that is not getting across very well. I wish I could explain it to you better and I also wish you could explain it to me better, but it's just not working out very well.
icanrepairpcs
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/07/12 16:36 By icanrepairpcs.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Using Multi Sites With Wampserver 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
As you don't provide any information on your problem (screenshot of error, configuration, ...) this is difficult to guide you.
I can just give you general explaination.
I think your problem is that you don't provide the correct URL with the _host_ parameter.
By default on a localhost, this does not work except when you add this parameter.
Go in JMS manage site and enter
site id = slave1
domain = www.slave1.com

Save

When you have the slave site, you have to modify your current URL to use the <your current local url>/administratror/?_host_=www.slave1.com

This will display you the fresh installation for the slave site.
If you arrive to this point, you can follow the video present in the tutorial.
In particular when working on windows platform the "demo installation" that give you screenshot.
www.jms2win.com/documentation/doc_downlo...tallation-version-11
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2009/07/12 17:17 By edwin2win.

Okay, I got it. I figured it out! The URL with the parameter is supposed to be entered into your browser after you have defined the domain names in the site configuration. I thought you meant that I to put the URL with the parameter into the site configuration. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. I was starting to get very frustated there for awhile.

Now I just need to figure how to use the correct template with the new slave site and to every slave site I add on later. For right now, I just want to use the same template on all of the slave sites that is used with the master site. How do I do this? Also, what if I wanted to use a different template on a slave site than what is used on the master site? How would I do that exactly?

Thank you for your time and attention.
icanrepairpcs
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Oh, nevermind. I am just supposed to install that particular theme again in the back-end configuration of the slave-site. Duh, I should've known that.

Doesn't seem like my users are synced. I had to change the name of the admin user in the slave site to match the name of the admin user in the master site. I am using Community Builder, by the way. Is there anything special I need to do to make sure that when a new username is registered on one site, it will be registered on all of the sites?
icanrepairpcs
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Using Multi Sites With Wampserver 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
When you create fresh slave site as I have give you the parameters, each website is independent.
This means that they have their own users, content, ...
To select a specific template, you go in Joomla / Extension / Template as usual and you select the template that you want.

If you want to be able install specific template in slave site, I suggest that you read the user manual because there are differents possibilities that depend on the platform.
This does not work the same between Unix and Windows platform.
All will depends also on your target platform.
You say that you will develop on Windows but do you expect to copy on Unix.

To avoid you problem in very complex configuration, I suggest you that you continue to install all the themes on the master website and after that you select the DEFAULT one that you want to use in the slave site
edwin2win
graph

To tell you the truth, I do have a copy of the latest and greatest Ubuntu Linux (9.04) installed on a different partition on my computer and a dual-boot setup. I could just install the Xampp local server software into Linux and use that instead. Would that not be safer?
icanrepairpcs
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla