English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Trouble Duplicating Content from Master to Slave
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Trouble Duplicating Content from Master to Slave
Re: Trouble Duplicating Content from Master to Slave 12 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0
Looks like my celebration was short lived. Edwin is correct - by using jos_ even though I had separate databases everything was live synchronized with the master site, instead of created independent copies.

However, after viewing all 44 minutes of video tutorial 0.d the process of copying the master website into a DIFFERENT DATABASE was not demonstrated....it was only mentioned extremely briefly. This is the piece that is missing that I would greatly appreciate clarification on.
peterlacis
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
peterlacis MUSIC + TECHNOLOGY = PETER LACIS peterlacis Location: Boulder, CO
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Trouble Duplicating Content from Master to Slave 12 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0
OK, now I believe I have this correct.

TEMPLATE CREATION - lessons learned

To recap, in order to created child sites based on content in the master site you need to first create a template, and then create you child sites.

STEP A. -- CREATE TEMPLATE

When you create your TEMPLATE based on the MASTER SITE, you should first create a new database into which the master site will be duplicated. Think of this as a "bridge database" between the master site to be duplicated and all your child/slave sites with their own DB's. Then the only items to enter are ID (the name of your template), TEMPLATE SITE (select your master site from the drop down), the details of your "bridge" database and then NEW DB PREFIX {site_id}_

You will also need to enter the LIST OF DOMAIN NAMES and DEPLOYMENT FOLDER but I believe the rules explained in Tutorial Video 0.d are solid in this case (around the 20 minute mark)

STEP B. -- CREATE CHILD/SLAVE SITES

When you create your child/slave site, you need to enter:

1. SITE ID
2. LIST OF DOMAIN NAMES (I used the actual URL for the child site - no variables)
3. TEMPLATES: (select the name of the template you created in Step A)
4. NEW DB SERVER NAME: server name of your child site DB
5. NEW DB NAME: name of child site DB
6. NEW DB USER: user name of child site DB
7. NEW DB PASSWORD: password for child site DB
8. NEW DB TABLE PREFIX: LEAVE THIS BLANK! IT IS DETERMINED VIA THE TEMPLATE RULE
8. DEPLOYED DIRECTORY: the full physical path to where the child/slave site is to reside
9. CREATE DEPLOY DIRECTORY: i always select this to make sure the directory is created

That should do it.
peterlacis
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
peterlacis MUSIC + TECHNOLOGY = PETER LACIS peterlacis Location: Boulder, CO
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla