English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Configuring A Slave Site To Use SEF URL's
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Configuring A Slave Site To Use SEF URL's
Re: Configuring A Slave Site To Use SEF URL's 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin ,

Agreed , i was a bit confused with this URL however when referencing directly from the master the slave site URL's collapsed to a 404.

The correct way I found involved a few steps which now resolves all paths too

domain/page.html as it should be.

1. Set all settings in global config
2. copy master path url from the config_multisites.php and add the extension for the slave site into the rewriteBase path of your htaccess file.
(making sure the rewriteBase command is not commented out.

3. In the slave sites config file first change permissions to enable write access
4. open the slave site config file and add the url only for the slave site domain in the variable here "var $live_site = 'www.yourdomain.co.uk/';"
5. Change the permissions back on the slave sites config to remove write access.

This should now resolve all url issues, it takes about a minute to do and works, I have tested this on several of our domains now managed through JMS now.

The only problem is with the master site as it the the site thats hosted. The url reads mydomain/joomla/index.htm.

I have found a work around for this but thats another topic lol. I hope this is helpful to others. I knew it would be a simple solution but it wasn't half a pain. Thanks for all your help Edwin.

Regards Nick
Rowe
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Configuring A Slave Site To Use SEF URL's 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
Thank you for the feedback and your procedure that may help other people.

Just a remark for the other people.
The SEF and rewritebase value can be different for each hosting and the value described here correspond to a specific case that can not be generalized.

In addition, the "live_site" parameter should always be empty except in the case of sh404SEF that require it because they still use a joomla 1.0.x method.
edwin2win
graph

Hi,

It is a working solution

• for www domain version (whithout www I get a simple html page - in my case - without the template format)

• and by backend creation, as the method cannot be used for automated billable frontend creation sites

To be honest, I dont understand this SEF problem appearing.
I have Joomla 1.5 sites that use the earlier version of multisites and there is no problem with SEF.
What is the problem here? And what is the solution? Everyone has the SEF problem by Joomla 2.5 or it can be a server issue?
A site without SEF is like a site launching in the space.

Thank you for the answer!

Jozsef
joekker
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Configuring A Slave Site To Use SEF URL's 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
Do you mean that the problem is introduced with Joomla 2.5 and that it is working under Joomla 1.5 ?

If yes, perhaps this is a problem introduced by joomla itself.
Perhaps you could have a look in the joomla bug tracker to see if something similar is reported
edwin2win
graph

Hi,

No, it is not a Joomla version issue. I found, that it works for me under 1.5 because all of my slavesite root folders are in public_html not in public_html/multisites folder.
If I make it like this, SEF works. If I create my sites in multisites folder than although I defined mysites.com/{site_id} as a list of domain names I get a 404 error. In this case site works properly only if I type into the browser mysite.com/multisites/site_id.

[UPDATE] Just now, I found, that all of my problems coming from the "List of domain name" option that I mentioned few lines above. The point is, that really doesn't matter what domain I give (usually I give mysite.com/{site_id}) if the given way is not the same like the folder name than the site is 404 for mysite.com/{site_id} and works for mysite.com/foldername

For example if I give as deployment folder {user_id}{site_prefix} and for domain name mysite.com/{site_id} the latter will be broke and mysite.com/{user_id}{site_id} will work. If in this case the {site_id} is the folder name the page will work even with SEF.

This the reason why the site doesn't work if it is placed in multisites directory.

I think this not the case how it was planned. I spent days on this issue, until I found this. Very frustrating. Of course it's not a good solution to have all slavesite root folders created in public_html. Neither is a good solution if the {site_alias} must be a folder name, if I want users to create billable sites from the frontend where they provide {site_alias} to have mysite.com/{site_alias} working.

I really need help!

Regards

Jozsef
joekker
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/02/26 15:18 By joekker.

Hi Jozsef,

If you go into your slave site configuration file you will find a variable called "$live_site". Try entering in your site value for example:

var $live_site = 'www.yoursite.com';

Each slave site has its own URL so this value will obviously correspond and change for each one. My slave sites are all in the multi-sites folder.

However, this variable value should (other than for the route/master site) Overwrite the general pathing issues and allow you to resolve the error you are having.

so http:www.hostedsite.com/public_html/joomla/slave_site_id/index.htm should resolve too

http:www.slave_site_id/index.htm.

The reason your sites will have a 404 page is simply because jms/joomla is only going to find the content if it's looking in the right place. Its a standard pathing issue.

The variable value i mentioned is basically an URL overwrite telling JMS where to read the url from.

I hope this helps.

regards Nick
Rowe
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1234
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla