English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Help w/ importing legacy users for partial sharing
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Help w/ importing legacy users for partial sharing
Re:Help w/ importing legacy users for partial sharing 6 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
edwin2win wrote:
2. CSV (Not CSS)
3. No
You can NOT drop the #__users table in the slave site when you want to keep the "Partial User Sharing".
Import the CSV using the "User Import" extension when using the "Partial User Sharing"
4. Not Applicable.

The solution that you are describing and that is also not good is for a standalone joomla as in 3, you decide to DROP the #__users to replace by a new one.
You can not do that when using the Partial User Sharing as the physical table is NOT located in the slave site where you want to import.

Yes, CSV, not CSS, I thought I fixed that typo.

So I still need a list defining the steps and the order in which to do them?

Please feel free to edit the following as needed:

1. Export legacy db as CSV and remove all but the #_users part. (Note, I see in the User Import component that it has a line "Ignore the unused columns". Does this mean it only imports the users and I don't have to remove the other table records?)
2. Export legacy sql file.
3. Import full legacy sql file into slave database, including #_users table — approx 1500 users.
4. Import legacy CSV of #_users into master using the User Import component.

Is this correct? I would think that doing the above would cause some user id conflicts?
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2018/01/30 17:48 By azurelink.Reason: Added more text.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Help w/ importing legacy users for partial sharing 6 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 54
1) With PHPMyAdmin, you can export a single table.
So no need to export the full DB and after cleanup the result.
2) NO
3) NO
4) Yes

So only 1 and 4 is required to import the users.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Help w/ importing legacy users for partial sharing 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks Edwin,

You misunderstand that I am also importing the full site into the slave, images, content, everything. Not just the users. So I think I still need to do 1 and 2, yes?
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Help w/ importing legacy users for partial sharing 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
If you want to convert a standalone website as a slave site, see the procedure described in the post
www.jms2win.com/en/forum/30-general-ques...lone-to-a-slave-site

Be careful that the conversion of a standalone website into a slave site will NOT share the users are this standalone website had already some users and that you can NOT decide to share them as the user ID and description of each user might be different.
So the converted website will remains with their users NOT shared.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Help w/ importing legacy users for partial sharing 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Okay, so now I am very confused.

To remind you, I am importing a legacy site into one of the slave sites. (I have done this many times successfully using the method described below.) I have upgraded Joomla and all extensions so that they are the exact same versions in the master site as in the legacy site. Now I'm ready to import the site, which I normally do in the following steps:

1. Create the AddOn domain for the slave in cPanel.
2. Create the slave in Multisites.
3. Copy the legacy site images into images_specific in the slave and the site-specific configuration.php file and modify it to connect to the new slave database.
4. Copy the legacy template into the slave's templates directory.

Usually the next step would be to import the legacy database export sql file into the slave database, which will include all of the users in the legacy site. But in this case I don't know whether to import the complete legacy sql file, including the legacy users, or if not, what to do? When do I use your User Import extension which requires a csv file?

I hope you can suggest the steps to get past this?

Note:

• There are two slave sites in this platform.
• The first slave does not have any real users, just test users and the Super Admin.
• The other slave has about 350 users.
• I have created the custom User Groups and ACL Levels in the master and have confirmed that their ID numbers are exactly the same.
• I want the users to be able to login from any of the two slave sites using the same credentials, which is why I have partial user sharing.
• To make things more complicated, each imported user has a corresponding account in a jobs listing component that will need to match up. I am rebuilding the component from scratch in Fabrik, but once that is built, I will be importing the jobs records which are still active (not expired) into the system, and then will need to sync them with the users who placed them. Still working out the details of how to make this happen. Your thoughts on this would be welcome and appreciated.

--------------------------

(For those interested in the rest of the steps, if you have site-specific images, you also need to change the Media Manager image source path to be /images_specific so your site admin will upload images into the images_specific directory — not into the master "images" directory. And you need to change the config file log and tmp directory paths to be in the slave directory versions.)
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2018/02/21 21:20 By azurelink.

Re:Help w/ importing legacy users for partial sharing 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
If you import your SQL file as it, you will NOT have any sharing.
The potential issue that you may encounter is that your legacy website make reference to the users id for some content like article, orders, ....

I don't know if this is in the master that you may potentially have to create the ACL.
All depends where is physically stored the joomla users.
When using the partial sharing, you have to identify the website that store physically the users.
As already mentioned, the import of the users can be done with a specific extension that we have provided to you.

Once you have "imported" the full SQL DB with "standalone" users then you have to drop, remove, delete the tables that should normally be "partially shared". See the JMS Template rule for more detail on what is supposed to be shared.

Once you will have dropped the tables that must be shared, re-open the slave site definition and save it to allow JMS creating the sharing.

When the sharing is present now, you can import the users.
Again, becarefull that the users that will be imported will have a new user ID and therefore, might create inconsistency with you data (article owner, orders owner, ...)
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla