English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Reseller Hosting and Multiple Accounts
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Reseller Hosting and Multiple Accounts
Reseller Hosting and Multiple Accounts 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello. This is a pre-sales question. As of now, I am not yet commited to purchasing Multi Sites 1.2, but I am considering it. Please read on for further information.

Please don't let the title of this thread mislead you. I am not planning on being a hosting reseller, but I may require a reseller account with Rochen Host if I decide to host with them since I have so many domain names (13) and websites that need to be setup.

I was wondering if it is possible to setup Multi Sites 1.2 to tie together domain names and websites under multiple hosting accounts if all the accounts are under the same reseller account. This would be a nice feature, if it is not already included since I would be able to keep my employees access to my network of websites limited only to certain parts of the network if I wanted to. It would make me feel more secure if I had more than one Web Developer, since I would be able to give each individual developer only the usernames and passwords they need to access each account that is required to get their work done.

I know this probably doesn't seem to make sense to you, but there has been another discussion going on at the Rochen Host (www.rochenhost.com) Pre-Sales forum on this matter where you can read for more information (that link is below). Rochen Host, by the way, is the official host for all of the official Joomla! websites, which in my opinion may make them a great hosting choice! I am seriously considering them to host all of my business websites. Please click on the link below to read the discussion at Rochen (this will take you to the Rochen Host website):

http://forums.rochen.com/showthread.php?t=13320
icanrepairpcs
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Reseller Hosting and Multiple Accounts 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
Concering the possibility for JMS to work with multiple hosting account, may be YES and may be NO.
All depends on the security of you hosting company.
If they have implemented a good security, theorically, the account can not access the files of another account.
If you want to test that, you could use the "hello world" procedure as described in the tutorial step 8 www.jms2win.com/tutorial and try create a link into a directory that is located into ANOTHER account. If it succeed, the answer will be YES. If it fail, the answer will be NO.
Up to you to test it.

Based on what I have read in the rochen forum , the case of domain.com, domain.net, ... is not a problem when it arrives to the same website. With JMS installed, you will have the possibiilty to create different website and not only a single website.

Something that will not works with JMS is the redirection. When you configure a hosting server with a redirection, you change the URL. This means that when JMS receive the hand, the URL is not the original URL and therefore probably will not display the website you want.

Based on what I have read, I suspect that different rochen account does not give the permission to access the files and folders of another account.

This is a feature required by JMS that need to share the files and folders on the disk for all the websites.
If you have a look in the video of the tutorial step 0 that present the concept, we quickly explain the usage of the Symbolic Link.
With the Symbolic Link, you create a brigde between different directories.
If you have no permission to create such links between account then this will be a problem.

You say that you would like to have separated website for security reason.
I repeat that the concept of JMS is to share the same joomla files and folders on the disk.
With the same PHP code, it is possible to create and access several DB connection in which you save the content of your website.
Therefore if you have different account, as JMS will require to have the Symbolic Link created to have access to the place where joomla is installed, then this mean that your different developper will also have access to those "common" files.
edwin2win
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla