English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

update joomla site to master
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: update joomla site to master
update joomla site to master 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Hey there!

We just purchased your product and i got a question just to be sure, as English is not my native language.

At this moment we have 2 different website's running using Joomla CMS.
Now we would like to share the specified components by using this tool.

I thought I found a documentary about it but i cant find it anymore. Since we already installed Joomla, how am i able to turn one site into the 'master' site.
Should i just go to extensions --> install/uninstall etc?
But whats gonna happen with the ' _jos prefix' table? Can i still edit that part or should i create different databases?

Thanks in advance,
Nathalie
Amsterdam | Netherlands
nathalie
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/03/03 17:21 By nathalie.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:update joomla site to master 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
Dear Nathalie, concerning the content sharing, JMS does not share the content as explained in the FAQ /faq#sec-72
JMS does not share the user, forum, new, articles, or whatever that is stored in DB.

There is a specific component that we call "Articles Sharing for JMS" that allow only display articles coming from any websites defined in JMS.
For more detail on this component, you can go on /download?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=34&category_id=1

Concerning jos_ table prefix, you can continue use it on your master website but we suggest to use another prefix. If this is an existing website you can continue to use it.
The risk to keep jos_ table prefix concern the problem that you could by error destroy it when you create a new slave site and when you don't take care about the table prefix.
In this case, by default Joomla use the jos_ table prefix and will backup the current one in bak_. The result will be that your master website will be destroyed and you will have to restore the bak_ into jos_.
If you want to keep jos_ for your master website, to reduce the risk to destroy it, we recommend to use another DB for the slave and never use the jos_ table prefix. If by error you create a jos_ table prefix, this will not destroy anything.

Read the chapter 3.2 of the user manual that present the possible architecture.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2009/03/03 17:30 By edwin2win.

Re:update joomla site to master 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
yes i just read it.

Let me put it like this;
I choose to not install the product yet, because we want to change the website totally. So its better to wait and once we start i install everything just to make sure it wont get mixed up by the settings of the table prefix.

we do want to have the same configurations/structure for the upcoming websites in the future that are sharing the same files and folders.
In the future we might consider to do share the same contents, news and etc.

So just to be sure, there won't be any conflicts if we use both of the products?

Thank you for your quick reply!
nathalie
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:update joomla site to master 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
For the moment, the "Articles Sharing" only share the articles.
We have not yet created a "News sharing" that will be able to share the new.

Articles Sharing require JMS to work.
It uses the JMS website definition and also low level API to directly access any websites.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla