English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

New slave from existing master on single database
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: New slave from existing master on single database
New slave from existing master on single database 15 Years ago Karma: 0
Searched the forum and tutorial, but nothing found on this:

I have a site with all components installed. The Master.
Now i want to use this master to create a ms-template, so that every component is installed on the slave and has not to be installed manually.

This is the point where i get lost.
I can install a fresh (joomla only) slave site, but nothing more.
This slave can be used for the template but it uses the same database with different prefixes and unluckily no components or plugins.

I am using a single database for every slave site, but i can not find any settings for that in the templates and symbolic links are working.

Can anybody explain what to to here?

Thanks Chris
barolo
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New slave from existing master on single database 15 Years ago Karma: 54
Dear Chris,

When you use the JMS "Websites Template", you define the rules for the replication (in particular the Webiste ID that will be replicated).
When you create a websites (manage) based on a "Websites Template", this will use the replication rules defined in this Websites Template and if you have defined a websites to replicate, it will be copied with the new prefix table that will have specified.
See tutorial video step 13.

When you create a fresh slave sites (not replicating it), you will arrive to the Joomla Installation and there you will specify the DB configuratoin and in particular the table prefix. If you give the same DB that an exisitng one, this will save the new slave site into this DB with the prefix table that you will have chosen. In this case, the table prefix must be different than an exisitng one if you share the same DB.
See the video in tutorial step 9.
When you create a fresh slave site, no extension is installed.
You have to re-install them manually.
To avoid that, use the replication explained before that will copy all the websites content defined in the "Website template".

If you want everything in the same DB, you could for example:
- Define a "Websites Template" using the 'master_db" as site to copy. (ie name it tpl_master)
- Create a slave site using the "tpl_master" and specify a new table prefix (ie. site_1).
This will replicate the "master_db" into the same DB with the new table prefix site_1.
edwin2win
graph

Re:New slave from existing master on single database 15 Years ago Karma: 0
Ok, I have watched and this is where I am struggling.

I want to have a single Database for all slaves having the name of the site_id.

Can this be set up?

I managed the one, putting it all in the slave DB ... somehow. This will certainly blow my DB and makes it "unhandable" when a new slave need about 200 tables.

In the same way, i want all the components and modules and plugins be installed.
As I see now, I have to make a "clean" masterslave from which all the next slaves are created. Am I right with that?

Chris
barolo
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:New slave from existing master on single database 15 Years ago Karma: 54
Dear Chris, I don't understand
"I want to have a single Database for all slaves having the name of the site_id."

When you have several slave sites, you have several site ID.

Each websites must have its own table prefix when they use the same DB.
When you use the JMS replication, this copy all the tables and that avoid to re-install the extension.
Prepare the website that you want to replicate and install all the extension and content you want. As JMS copy all the tables and content of the websites, this will give you a generic websits for the replication.
Experiment it.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla