English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Two sites, same database?
Two sites, same database? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
We have a site set up that will have a ton of subcategories and pages where paid subscription users can add information. We have a sister-site to that site set up that we would like to share the members and the categories/subcategories, but not the entries. Will MS do this? If so, how do I set it up? I'm lost in the manual as I don't think any of the situations explained is exactly what we are wanting to do. Each site has their own domain name, but they are on the same server and in the same main directory (home/one-site/ and home/two-site). The first site is already set up with all the categories and extensions installed.

Thanks for your help.

Lorie
mwdslorie
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Two sites, same database? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
Dear Lorie,

The current JMS does NOT share the users and does NOT share anything event when using the same DB. When it uses the same DB, you have to specify different table prefix to make the website totally independent.
JMS only share the files and folders present on the disk and NOT the database content.

I am currently working on a JMS 1.2.x that will allow to share some content like the users.
This new functionality will MySQL 5.1.2 or higher.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2009/05/18 09:53 By edwin2win.

Re:Two sites, same database? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi There,

I just purchased JMS. I guess I should have read here first. I was hoping JMS would share users and other table info, Do you have any idea on how far away then next version is?

I'm not sure that I can use JMS for what I want. I'm not a programmer and I don't really understand all of what it can do. It shared my Themes but I'm not sure what else??? I'm still learning. Anyhow.

Any info on the new version would be great.

Thanks

Stephen
stich
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Two sites, same database? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
Dear Stephen,

JMS does not share the content of the website and each website must be considered as totally independent.
It only share the Joomla file and folder present on the disk to reduce the maintenance, disk space, ...
See FAQ
- www.jms2win.com/faq#sec-73
- www.jms2win.com/faq#sec-12
- www.jms2win.com/faq#sec-72

It is difficult to give a fixed date concerning the release of JMS 1.2.x because this depend on many factors and one of them is the time that I can use to develop the new version.
I have a working prototype in which I continue to integrate other new functinalities because I don't want to create a JMS 1.3.x just few weeks after the JMS 1.2.x.
In addition, I need to perform intensive test and create the documentation.

All those task require times and I think that should still require between 2 and 4 weeks.

In this version, I expect to add the functionalities :
- to share ALL the standard Joomla user (login, registration, ...)
- or to share the VirtueMart user excluding other VirtueMart functionalities (Specific store but shared users)
- or to share ALL VirtueMart (Users and all products, ...)
- or share Community Builder
- perhaps also share JomSocial (not yet tested)
- Replicate website into another DB
- "Synchronize" new extension installation between a slave site and its template once a website is already created

The sharing will require MySQL 5.1.2 or higher.
Other constrain concerning the MySQL user login will be required when sharing the information between different DB. The user will have to be grant into several DB.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Two sites, same database? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Thank you - That is a very helpful reply. I will look forward to the next update.
stich
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Two sites, same database? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,
I have a master site and am trying to make a new slave site by selecting the option "share the whole site" and i want to use the same content.So i don't select a new database.
Ideally after completion it should show me the new site, but instead its giving a new joomla installation.

Can you please help on this.

Thanks
karamvirs
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla