English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

How to not share images between sites?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: How to not share images between sites?
How to not share images between sites? 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,

I create different sites for clients as slave sites with JMS so I don't have to update each and everyone of them each time a new version of joomla, or components etc is available. It works great!

However, I noticed that the images are shared between all my slaves sites and I don't want my clients to have access to other clients' images....

Can anyone help tell me how to make the images folder only available for the website they were created in? There surely must be a way, but I can't seem to find it...

Thanks in advance!

Catherine
GGCath
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How to not share images between sites? 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
Catherine, when you create a slave site, you can ask having a specific image and media folder.
This is an operation that is decided the first time that you create the slave site as JMS does not update the potential directories or links that may have been created.

When Symbolic Link is allowed you can enter
Deploy folder = {site_dir} (when using the default JMS multisites directory)
media folder = images
images folder = images/stories

The result will be that you will have in your {site_dir} directory the images directory that will be a copy (and not a link) of your master image directory.
This will give you the opportunity to change its content.
edwin2win
graph

Re:How to not share images between sites? 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks, I'll do this for the sites I create next....

But....(there's always a but!) I have already create 4 sites....Is there a way to change this or we have to start all over again?

If necessary, we can change the php files if you guide us through, as we have a php programmer here....We also have symbolics links..

So, is there a way?

Thanks for the quick support and wonderful extension!!

Catherine
GGCath
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Catherine,
if the images directory is a link to another directory, you can delete the link (or rename it in case of roolback) in aim that the directotry is not present before you save again the JMS slave site where you have specified the specific directory.
edwin2win
graph

Re:How to not share images between sites? 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Edwin,

I've been trying to make this work with Catherine (coworker) for a while now but I can't figure how to do it.

The only things we want to do is to have separate templates/images/medias for all our websites. We have websites already configured with those folders shared, I will be fixing those later. Currently I simply want to create another site with separate folders.

If I understand correctly I should be able to specify the 3 directories where will be the templates/images/media when I create the slave sites. Whatever combination of options I used I was not able to get the 3 fields for those options.

What options should I choose in the website creation tool of JMS?

I am currently with Joomla! 1.5.14 and JMS 1.2.4

BTW I do NOT want to replicate anything from databases and there is no "front end website creation". You may guess by this that I also tried with the template but wasn't able to make it work with this neither I don't care if the current files (templates/images/medias) are copied to the new website, I'll delete them if necessary.
MacWorld
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

IF you want to have a specific templates, images and media folders on unix platform and symbolic link allowed is the one that I have give to you (with the addition of the templates that is a new requirement)

Deploy folder = {site_dir} (when using the default JMS multisites directory)
media folder = images
Template folder = {site_dir}/templates

In general the {site_dir} is the directory that you have assigned to your domain, or sub-domain and must be replaced by this value.
So if slave1 correspond to www.slave1.com domain that is located on your disk on
/home/slave1/public_html

The definition will be

Deploy folder = /home/slave1/public_html
media folder = images
Template folder = /home/slave1/public_html/templates
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla