English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Starting up with multi-sites
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123456
TOPIC: Starting up with multi-sites
Starting up with multi-sites 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
After installing and setting up my first slave site (a copy of the master, using the same installation, but a different database prefix), I'm now at an interesting question:

"how do I edit the slave?"

Since the administrator link is an alias to the master administration, I find no way to update anything within the slave site. Am I missing something, or am I trying to use JMS for what it was not intended for? I want to have the slave site use the same installation, but be a different site. Content, menus, template (theme), etc.

ross
rchapman
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Starting up with multi-sites 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
If you have replicated the website, you can login as admniistrator of the slave site and manage it directly.

If you have replicated (an not shared anything), this mean that the slave site is independent and just have an initial copy of your master website.

See the video in tutorial.
They will show you how to create fresh slave site, and also replicate one.

Once you will have a slave site, you manage it from it independent back-end (/administrator).
edwin2win
graph

Re:Starting up with multi-sites 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
the reason I eventually copied my master site, is because when I saved my slave site, then updated DNS information, I did not have the joomla installation step. it was merely a directory listing with "cache/" and "config_multisites.php" in it.

I feel like the PDF user manual and the demos are causing me to miss a step.
rchapman
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

If you are using a domain or a sub-domain that have their own directory, then you have to deploy the slave site in this particular directory or you may have a list of files present (without the index.php file).

To know how configure a slave site that also use a JMS template for the replication, maybe the tutorial CP-04 will help you
www.jms2win.com/tutorial#jms12x-CP-04

You can also have a look to the other CP-xx video that perhaps will help you see the relationship between the hosting configuration and the JMS slave site directory.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Starting up with multi-sites 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks for all the help, I'm really enjoying working with JMS.

I now get an error following the tutorials. When I try to make a new slave site, then view the slave site to start the slave installation, I get the error:

"No configuration file found and no installation code available. Exiting..."

the directory has all files except for configuration.php, which seems odd. I'm wondering if something happened during my faulty installation of JMS, or if this is a standard error.

My settings and 'check patches' are all green.

Ross
rchapman
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Dear Riss,

Joomla (not JMS), when it starts, it first check if it found a "configuration.php" files that may not be present when you want to create a fresh joomla website.
When joomla detect that it has no configuration.php file, it tries to search for the "installation" directory to allow its creation.
If it does not find any configuration.php file and no installation directory, this is the messsage that is reported.

So you have correctly identified that "configuration.php" does not exists but it seeems that "installation" directory is also missing.
Check that you have correctly installed the JMS patches that must restore the "installation" directory.
If you have used the tutorial step 9 with a slave site deployed in a specific directory, then you must check that you have the "installation" directory present in the deployed folder.
If the "installation" directory is present, you must check that you have the access to the directory.
You can add the "installation/index.php" in the URL of the slave site to check that you can access it. (Probably NO).

So check that you have access to the slave site installation directory to allow joomla build the "congfiguration.php" file.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 123456
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla