English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

"Unable to create target folder" Frustration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: "Unable to create target folder" Frustration
"Unable to create target folder" Frustration 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
Another user posted a similar problem here: www.jms2win.com/forum?func=view&id=1074&cat, but I don't see any resolution.

I am trying to install a "slave" site to a subdomain. My ideal would be to install the slave site to a totally different domain.

I have created a template. I have also tried deploying a fresh database.

Then I try to create the site and get the error "Unable to create target folder" and the error is generated in the httpd log: PHP Warning: chdir() [<a href='function.chdir'>function.chdir</a>]: No such file or directory (errno 2) in /path/to/domain/subdomains/www/html/site/administrator/components/com_multisites/models/manage.php on line 1794, referer: domain/site/administrator/index.php?option=com_multisites

The program works great if I don't specify a target and use the default INSIDE the master site.

My master is in "/path/to/domain/subdomains/www/html/site/" and I'm trying to get the slave in "/path/to/domain/subdomains/slave/html/site/." FTP permissions are confirmed for the same user and I have tried setting the the new "html" and "site" folders to 777 permissions. I have also tried it with no "site" folder not already created and clicking the "Create deploy directory."

I would like to get the slave site in "/path/to/OTHERdomain/subdomains/www/html/site/" in an ideal world.

Is there just some permission in Linux that prevents this from happening? The tutorial shows copying a site to a subdomain is possible. I assumed it would be similar for most versions of Linux where permissions are the same across subdomains.

I've tried what I think is every possible iteration of the options when creating a site. Totally lost and frustrated after about six hours of trying to make it work. I would sure appreciate any input! Thank you!
newbandon
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:"Unable to create target folder" Frustration 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 54
The "Unable to create target folder" is very clear and mean that you can not create the target directory.
This is probably a permission issue and you have to check that you have the permission to create a directory in the target place.

If you are using the FTP layer, see the tutorial video 15 that explain the procedure.
www.jms2win.com/tutorial#jms12x-15

So hosting provider may use different "ower" for the files and use a "apaches" user to create files and folders that may be different of the "index.php" owner that is used.
Sometimes such kind of environment does not allow using the 777 permission to allow cerate files and folders.
If you expect to deploy a slave site into another directory, it is mandatory that you have the correct permission because the FTP layer will not help you to create the symbolic links.
The FTP protocol does not contain any statement that allow create symbolic links.
So you have to consider that FTP layer does not exists to check the Symbolic Links permissions.

If the SYmbolic Links workis in the subdirectory created in /multisites, this probably means that you have effectivelly a permission issue somewhere that does not autorize to deploy your slave site.

Contact you hosting server administrator to help you solve the permission issue.

If you want that we have a look on your server, you can order our billable support at
www.jms2win.com/download?page=shop.produ...35&category_id=1
edwin2win
graph

Re:"Unable to create target folder" Frustration 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks for the reply.

I thought that might be the case, but I thought I'd check.

After trying three servers, I was able to make it work. I just used a server without a control panel and setup the vhosts manually to get the back-end directory structure I wanted.

As a point of reference, the DTC control panel from GPLHost seems to create some cross directory security (even in subdomains). Even disabling open_basedir did not fix the issue.

To make the JMS system more compatible with a greater variety of setups, it would be really cool if the "Site Details [New]" allowed the insertion of the FTP layer. This addition would also allow JMS to create remote sites on different servers (i.e. frontend, backend deployment scenarios).

I know there's a tutorial on the FTP layer and it's great (like alll your videos), but it only works when the site can be copied to the right directory first. Using the FTP layer to deploy files could be very handy.

Thanks again!
newbandon
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:"Unable to create target folder" Frustration 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 54
Concerning your suggestion to add FTP layer in the JMS manage "new" site, can you be more explicit.
I remember you that when you deploy a slave site into a speciifc directory this use Symbolic Link and that this functionality is not available by the FTP protocol. So you can not redirect a directory in a place where you don't have permission.
If your idea is to replicate all the Joomla directories, this is not the purpose of JMS to duplicate joomla itself. In this case, the result will be identical to install joomla yourself in an independent way.

I don't see the benefit to add the FTP layer in the JMS new site.

If you had a look in detail with the video concerning the FTP layer, it describe how to create a fresh slave site and share the SAME directory structure than your master website and how to configure the FTP layer to create a specific "configuration.php" file.
edwin2win
graph

Re:"Unable to create target folder" Frustration 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
I remember you that when you deploy a slave site into a speciifc directory this use Symbolic Link and that this functionality is not available by the FTP protocol.
Ah ha! You're right, of course.

Anyway it sounded nice.
newbandon
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla