English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Newbie can't get JMS Multi Sites installed
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Newbie can't get JMS Multi Sites installed
Newbie can't get JMS Multi Sites installed 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
I'm pretty new to Joomla but I've been a linux user for 13 years. I'm usually not clueless but I feel it now.

I purchased and downloaded JMS Multi Sites 1.2.13 and Joomla_1.5.15 and tried to install it in my new sandbox (hopefully to become production) 1.5 Joomla installation. In the module install page when it should complete and show the registration page - I get nothing, a blank white page.

I tried to do an install on my BlueHost Joomla install and it worked perfectly - I noticed it had the Legacy 1.0 module enabled, I tried that, no effect.

This is RHEL 5 with all updates and patches installed. I haven't installed any patches for Joomla.

Any suggestions, folks?

Thank you very much for your help.
clintpyr
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/12/02 22:47 By clintpyr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Newbie can't get JMS Multi Sites installed 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
IN general a blank page is the symptom of a syntax error somewhere.
Have you checked that you don't have any permission issue somewhere.

If this is the case, perhaps you can try using the Joomla FTP layer to force update of some joomla files.

If the problem occurs during the registration, you can start test using JMS without the registration and check that you can install the JMS patches.

So can you describe more in detail what is working and which action you are doing that produce the blank page.
Does the joomla installation is working ?
Is this only the registration that produce this blank page ?
Can you install the JMS patches ?

JMS works both with and without the legacy mode.
The problem of blank page is generaly related to a PHP syntax error.
Which PHP version are you using ?
Perhaps you can try to have a look in the PHP (or apaches) error log file.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Newbie can't get JMS Multi Sites installed 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Well, I hadn't done much to test the install except that I used the FTP layer to install a template and it worked perfectly - so I assume there isn't a permission error on any of the tmp upload dirs or the template folder.

I just tried to install this on another machine (one I was testing Drupal on) - installed the same version of Joomla and also JMS Multisite and got the same response.

The Joomla install is working, it is *before* the registration page that I get the error. I haven't installed any JMS patches - are there specific ones I should try?

I'm using PHP php-5.1.6-23 on RHEL 5

Thanks for your quick answer.
clintpyr
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Also, my permissions are the same on the Templates folder as the Modules folder - since templates install successfully I'd assume that it's not a permissions error - here are the permissions:

drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4096 Nov 4 12:46 modules

Each file and folder within has the same permissions.
clintpyr
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Newbie can't get JMS Multi Sites installed 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
You can have permission error when the owner of existing file or folder is not identical to the current user.

So if the "blank page" appears during the joomla extension install then this is perhaps related to a permission issue or a syntax error or perhaps also related to a PHP timeout during the upload.

To check if this is a PHP timeout, try to unzip the JMS extension into a temporary directory on your server and after that use the joomla installation from a directory (not from a package).
edwin2win
graph

I tried a different module to see if I have trouble (Core Design Web Gallery plugin 1.0.5) and it worked fine. I also increased two different PHP timeout parameters in my php.ini to 300 seconds:

max_execution_time = 300 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 300

I'll try extracting the file manually. What's weird is that it went very quickly on BlueHost which is using Joomla 1.5.14

I wonder if it could be a problem with Joomla 1.5.15 (which is what I'm using on the server in question).

I'll try extracting the extension manually - but I couldn't get that to work - will try again.
clintpyr
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla