English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Is there any limitation using a shared data base
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Is there any limitation using a shared data base
Is there any limitation using a shared data base 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi everybody,

I'm not very familiar with Joomla and I just discovered JMS. Before going any further, I need to know if I may get troubles setting up Joomla & JMS with 1 Joomla data base and about 100 slave sites (this means thousands Joomla data base tables). I do not expect a lot of traffic on each of these slave web sites (less than 10 visits per day). Did someone tried a stress test with that many slave sites ? Would it be a viable set up ?

Thanks & Regards,

Christophe
CLaurent
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Is there any limitation using a shared data base 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
Dear Christophe, the number of table and the traffic of your websites are two differents things.

First the number of tables that can be created in a DB and managed by MySQL depends in fact of the operating system and the maximum number of files that can be created on the disk into a same directory. MySQL create 3 files per tables.
So if you have 100 websites that each site contain 50 table, this means that you will have 5000 tables that correspond to 15000 files in the same directory.

If you can create separated DB, you can also use them.
All the architectures are possibles.
Single DB
Two DB (1 master + 1 slave)
As many DB as websites.

Concerning the traffic, the overhead of JMS is very small and everything is pre-computed when the slave site are created.
So JMS itself can be considered as very small.
So the question remain to know the global traffic that a server is able to process.
The result with JMS is more less equal to the number of separated joomla installed on the same server.
If for example you have 50 websites on the SAME server with 50 separated joomla then the workload will be more less the same with JMS and 50 websites using a SINGLE joomla.

The major advantage of JMS is that you have a single joomla to update and maintain when you have bug fixes or security fixes or whatever.
In the case where you have 50 joomla to update the time require is higher.

So with JMS, you benefit of a single maintenance.
edwin2win
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/12/07 19:27 By edwin2win.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla