English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Presales - How many and how fast?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Presales - How many and how fast?
Presales - How many and how fast? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,
Interested in this product, have already had a presales question related to pricing responded to very quickly which is good.
I want to deploy massive amounts of joomla websites using a custom "website template" I have created.
At present I create a copy the database using cpanel, and of the script directory using cpanels file manager, and this takes about 5 minutes each one I do.

Can this script do this faster? At this stage I am looking to quickly create joomla sites on www.mydomain.com/site1, www.mydomain.com/site2 etc etc - using domain pointers can come later.

Also what are the upper limits of having these installations all in one database? I like the idea of 1 database as it will make backups easier, but, can I have 100 installations on 1 database?

What about 1000?

How should I go about this?

Thanks
Tara
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Presales - How many and how fast? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
Concerning the speed, of course this depends on the speed of your server.
If you have defined a JMS Templates with all the replication rules, this will just be a click and the time is moreless the one to copy the DB.
After that, as we do not copy the files on the disk, this is faster.
In general the creation of a slave site is performed in less than a minutes (< 1mn).

Concerning the maximum number of slave site into the same DB, this is operating system dependend.
In fact the maximum number of tables that can be created into a MySQL DB is related to the maximum of files that the operating system accept in a directory (divided by 3).
Each MySQL table takes 3 files on the disk that explain that you have to divide this number by 3 to know the maximum MySQL table.
There is also a limit of the DB size that is the maxium disk space available and that can be store into a directory.
See the MySQL document to know their limits.

If you have the permission to create DB dynamically, perhaps you could also create as many DB as you have slave site.
Or as you propose create DB that group 100 of slave site installation.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Presales - How many and how fast? 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
I apologise for taking so long, I have a couple more questions then I think I have all I need.

1. I have created all my master and slave sites so far using fantastico. No installation scripts are present. Do I need to upload the joomla install directory to my master site?

2. If I create a slave site from a website template, things like site name, and admin email - how are these handled? Is that defined during the site creation from the component backend?

3. I plan on having multiple slave sites per database. At times I will need to make updates to a site via the dabatase (using phpmyadin).

If I know the table prefix of the site I wish to update, is it as simple as running the query on that table? - is nothing else touched? (I dont want other sites affected by one sites update obviously)

Do you know of a way to give someone a backup of just their site, using your system? If I am using multiple sites per db - then obviously I cant give them an entire database - and what if I am only sharing the main site template codebase? How do I give them a backup.

4. Finally, I am on shared linux hosting. I want to show clients their site before they point their domain to my nameservers and then obviously I make the adjustments to point it to the specific folder. My question is, before they have delegated their nameservers to me, can they view their website at www.mysite.com/theirsite/ ?

Thanks heaps.
Tara
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Presales - How many and how fast? 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 54
1) When you install the JMS patches, it restores the latest Joomla installation directory to allow creating new fresh slave sites.

2) If you simply replicate a website, this copy everything including the users (login, email, ...)
If you propose the website creation from the front-end, see tutorial video 13
www.jms2win.com/tutorial#jms12x-13
In this case, you can define in the JMS template which login is "public' and for which the user can change the email and password.

3) YES you can continue working with PHPMyAdmin as usual.
JMS does not modify the table columns or things like that.
Only when you decide to share MySQL table, it creates them using a view on the original one.

You can continue create backup as usual.
When you have independent website and decide to continue using separated DB, nothing is changed.
Personnally, I am using PHPMyAdmin export / import for the backup / restore.

YES you can decide to have several domain for a slave site.
You can define in JMS that you have
- www.mysite.com/theirsite/
synonym of
- www.theirsite.com
or
- theirsite.com (without the WWW).

This is free.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Presales - How many and how fast? 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks, I have purchased the script and got it working, its good, and its fast when you know how it works.
I have a question.
Have you thought of allowing an upload of a csv file with the required information, to bulk create multiple websites?
If we know all the data thats required, it should be easy right?

Right now I am cloning a webtemlate located at www.mydomain.com/template/ into many different sites www.mydomain.com/site1, site2 etc etc.

The only data that changes for each site is some text in modules and contact details which is easy enough to automate through phpmyadmin.

Any ideas on creating bulk websites?

Or maybe you have a better idea on how to do this?
Tara
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Presales - How many and how fast? 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 54
YES we have an internal component that is not a product that can be used to create bulk websites.
This is an extension that we customize for each customer that want such product.
We have already used it to create several hundred and event more than 1 thousand websites.

So if you need such Multisites import defintiions, this is possible and you can order few hours of billable support to let us prepare a specific extension that will be adapted to your needs.

In general it takes less than 1 days to modify the extension for a specific customer.

So if you have an excel file with all the data that we will discuss for the interface, we can create very huge number of slave sites in very few hours (ie. 1 thousand websites in 2 days).

The key element is to prepare the website to will be replicated with the JMS templates.

This is not yet a product because we should rewrite the extension to take in account the PHP timeout.
For the moment, this is an iterative processing where you can specify the record range that must be processed to avoid timeout.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2010/02/01 09:09 By edwin2win.

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla