English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Pre Purchase Questions
Pre Purchase Questions 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
I currently have an online RP game community site that runs on Joomla 1.5 with Jomsocial 2.2.2 and kunena 1.6.3. the site currently has over 300 registered users.

Soon, we will be releasing a new race of players into the system and want both to have their own forums but be able to socialize friend and create groups with users of either race. as well as this, each domain will have some (but not all) shared articles.

from what I can understand, the precess I would need to follow is this...

• Make the current site Master by moving it to a new administrative domain and install multi sites.

• Create a slave (slave1) from the master copying all articles and extensions to that

• Create a new blank slave (slave2} with the extensions I need from the new master site.

Is it possible for users in slave1 even though logged into slave 1 to not able to see any on the forums of slave2 than any guest would normally be able to see?

Also, is it possible to have the profile links within Jomsocial link back to the domain each slave site is using? for instance....
A user of Slave1 clicks on a jomsocial profile link of a user in slave2... they will be taken to the profile on slave2 so that they are instantly able to recognize the user is from that race? as each race (and slave) will have a similar but different template.

I hope my rambling makes sense
SuperDexing
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Pre Purchase Questions 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
We recently released a "Partial User Sharing" extension that is only working on Joomla 1.6 and 1.7 that allow setting specific privileges to a user in each website.
Unfortunatelly, this functionality is not available for Joomla 1.5.

In Joomla 1.5, when you share the users, you share all its joomla information.

In your case, there is an additional dimension as you are using JomSocial that also save info for a user.
When you share JomSocial, this share all the info - event in Joomla 1.6 and 1.7.
So if a user change its profile in slave 1, it is automatically updated for the slave 2 when the info is shared.

If the forum that you want to add is not shared with other websites, their content will be specific. So if there is a kunena forum present in slave 1 and another one in slave 2, they will have specific content.

The concept of JMS is based on the sharing.
So the information is present only once and not duplicated.
That mean that when you share an extension between 2 websites, you have exactly the same information whatever the place you access it.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Pre Purchase Questions 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
I realized my companies need to create subdomains on the fly. We currently have about 13 subdomains. We try to make them uniform to meet a certain standardized criteria. I think that multisite is probably the solution we need.

MY QUESTION:

What about the existing websites that we have right now? They are pretty well developed with content. Each is a little different from the other. There a way I will be able to "import" as 'slave' sites to the master site?

Other Questions:

The sites are on joomla 1.5. We want to update to the latest. Will I have to update each individual site before migrating them to the "master"?

Finally, Joomla 1.8 is scheduled to come out early next year. As I'm certain you all will plan to have a release for 1.8, do you imagine that it will be a imple and cohesive update across every slave site?

I'm very interested in your product but at the same time I am very concerned about its stability.I fear that if I screw one little thing up on the master, all the slave sites will suffer across the board.
nephilimmuse
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Pre Purchase Questions 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
Concerning the existing website, if you want they become slave site under Jms Multi Sites, this is possible with a manual procedure and you will have to ensure that all the extension with the same version number will be present in the master website.
After that it is possible to create slave site that will re-use the existing DB and also to copy all the specific images, .... into the slave site.

When you say you want to update to the latest, does that mean that you want to update to Joomla 1.5.23 or migrate the Joomla 1.7.
If you migrate to Joomla 1.7, ensure that all the extension that you are currently using in your website are compatible with Joomla 1.7.

The concept of Jms Multi Sites is to share the same joomla installation (PHP code - files and folders on the disk).
So if you share the same PHP code, it is mandatory that all the websites are runing under the same Joomla version and therefore that you migrate each invidiual website before creating the slave site.

Concerning the future Joomla 1.8 and that is also true for Joomla 1.6 and 1.7, the new strategy of Joomla does not provide any ascending compatiblity with the earlier versions. They provide migration processing that convert the data from a previous version to a new version.
As the migration require to modify the DB layout and plenty of internal joomla DB content, it is highly probably that joomla will require that you perform a migration in each website to upGrade the DB structure and content.

The major difference between an update and an upgrade is that an update provide an ascending compatibility.
In contrary, the upGrade introduce changes that require modifying the data layout and therefore require to convert the previous layout into a new layout.

Of course we will provide a multisites version for Joomla 1.8 or any number that they will decide - there are discussion to rename 1.8 into 2.x
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla