English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Push articles to multiple sites
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Push articles to multiple sites
Push articles to multiple sites 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Greetings,

I installed the Article Sharing component, but I found that it does not work the way I need. This compoment grabs the articles from the Master site, while I need the Master site to push the articles to the specified Child sites.

So, when I write an article on the Master site, I need a way to choose on which Child sites it must be published.

JMS provides such feature, or does it plan to provide it on a future release?

Thank you.
blissco
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Push articles to multiple sites 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
The Article Sharing for JMS work as a PULL and not as a PUSH because we consider that this is the reponsability of the owner of the slave site to decide what it display.

In addition, make the reverse is far more complex as you it would be required to have the list of the websites where you could decide amoung the list the set where you want to push the article and that would be converted by update in all the slave sites selected by something special to read the list of articles that you would have selected.

If you want to do PUSH, you just have to create section and categories corresponding to each slave sites and assign the article to this section/category.
In the slave site you will just have to read this section/category.

It is not planed to develop such complex PUSH.
The advantage of the PULL is that you have just one site to select (read) instead of multiples sites to write (push).
In addition, in terms of security, the person who is responsible of the slave site keep the control.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Push articles to multiple sites 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Thank you for your answer.

I now understand your point of view, and how the component works. I would like to explain our situation so that you might help us find a solution (if a solution actually exists).

We are a record company, and we manage the Web sites for the company, the labels, and the different artists. When we publish an article, we have to duplicate it between two or more Web sites, and each site must have the ability to search articles based on the tags, the sections, and the contents.
We wanted to manage the articles from the Company Web site, but now we understand that it would not be possible. We will have to manage the articles from the single artists' pages, and then pull it to the Labels' sites and the company's site. This is not quite working for us, and we hope to find a better solution.

edwin2win wrote:
The Article Sharing for JMS work as a PULL and not as a PUSH because we consider that this is the reponsability of the owner of the slave site to decide what it display.

Being the owner of both the master site and the slave sites, the responsability is not really an issue. I understand that the module has been built with the idea that the master site and the slave sites were managed by different people. However, I presume that we are not the only company managing multiple sites at the same time; therefore, I suppose that this issue has been already addressed by someone...

edwin2win wrote:
In addition, make the reverse is far more complex as you it would be required to have the list of the websites where you could decide amoung the list the set where you want to push the article and that would be converted by update in all the slave sites selected by something special to read the list of articles that you would have selected.

I know that the ability to PUSH and article is quite more complex than just pulling the information from a master site. The problem with pulling an article is that not all the information are shared between the sites. I also understand that not all the information can be shared with a PUSH functionality since the component can not know all the different functionalities added to Joomla (for example the tag plugins or other content-specific plugins).

edwin2win wrote:
If you want to do PUSH, you just have to create section and categories corresponding to each slave sites and assign the article to this section/category.
In the slave site you will just have to read this section/category.

This solution has some limitations.

First, contents can be assigned to just one section/category; therefore, you have to create a category for each site and then copy the article to all the categories you want that news to be shown. Also, articles shared this way cannot be searched (but this can be fixed by using your search component it seems), and some information are not shared such as tags, comments, and so on. As I said before, I know that sharing content-specific information provided by third-party components is not possible; however, being able to push the content's basic information and then adding the specific ones site by site, would still be of great help.

edwin2win wrote:
It is not planed to develop such complex PUSH.

I would like to suggest to at least consider it.

edwin2win wrote:
The advantage of the PULL is that you have just one site to select (read) instead of multiples sites to write (push).
In addition, in terms of security, the person who is responsible of the slave site keep the control.

If the resposibility might be an issue if the sites are managed by different people, it is not quite the same if you are managing multiple sites at once. It is possible to copy and paste the contents from one site to the others, but having a centralized management of the articles would be a great asset.

Thank you.
blissco
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Push articles to multiple sites 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
OK, I will write in my "wished list" or "nice to have list" your requirement.
Perhaps I will take in account of your requirement in the future.
For the moment, our priority is to get all our extension compatible with Joomla 1.7 and this still not yet the case as some extension must be totally rewritten for joomla 1.7
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2011/09/19 19:34 By edwin2win.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla