English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Question about sharing component configuration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Question about sharing component configuration
Question about sharing component configuration 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi guys,

I'm a little confused about the concept of 'sharing' components with JMS2Win.

I'd like to setup the Jomsocial configuration on the Master site and all the slave sites should then share the same configuration. If I change anything in the configuration I'd like this to synchronise with the slave sites.

However I'd like the slave sites to have their own database so that user information and community content is not shared across all my slave sites (each community is concerned about privacy).

How do I go about this (I'm using the latest version of Joomla 1.7.2 with the latest version of JMS2Win)?

Thanks for any assistance.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Question about sharing component configuration 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
The concept of JMS is based on the sharing and not on duplicated data that required to be synchronized.
In JMS, there is no need of synchronization when you share an extension as the data is unique and not duplicated.

So if you decide to share the JomSocial extension, the content of JomSocial will be the same for all the website that share the JomSocial.

When sharing JomSocial, you can decide to share all JomSocial or share all JomSocial except its JomSocial configuration.

The fact that each slave sites have their own DB, will not change the fact that the JomSocial users will be stored in a unique DB. The DB of the slave site that physically contain all the JomSocial records.

All the website will share the JomSocial tables and will have access to all the JomSocial records.

So if you share JomSocial all the website will have the same JomSocial content.

If you want to share partially the JomSocial users between website, this is possible with the "Partial User Sharing". We will release soon a version 1.1 that will also allow to totally hide the users to the other websites and not only change the "joomla group" assigned to a user.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Question about sharing component configuration 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your response.

I just have one last question. Is it possible to ONLY share the configuration i.e. DO NOT share any user records or user generated content?

Could I get around this by not sharing anything and when I update my Jomsocial configuration in the Master I propogate the new settings to all the slaves?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Best regards.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Question about sharing component configuration 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
If I understand correctly your question, you would like to only share the JomSocial global configuration and nothing else.

We can do such specific sharing for customers but at their own risk.
In this case, we can develop a specific plugin that modify the standard JMS sharing definition and that provide to the customer the specific rule that he ask.
This is generally possible with 1 hour of billable support.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2011/11/18 11:00 By edwin2win.

Re: Question about sharing component configuration 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

Yes that is my question. Just to be clear I am referring specifically to the Jomsocial application. We're planning to have many jomsocial slave sites so we need an easy way to update the configuration, design and extensions from the master. However user information and generated content must remain private for each community site so we need to exclude this from sharing with the master and other slaves.

Would it be easier to change the configuration files, template and jomsocial extensions in the master (especially when there are software updates) and then propogate (install) the changes to the slaves instead of sharing the files?

I am also wondering why you say it will be a "risk" to take this approach?

My last question is regarding Jomsocial Profile Types by Joomlaxi. I'm using this extension to provide additional configuration options. My questions above also apply to this extensions; do I need to share the configuration of JSPT or just reinstall and propogate to the slave sites (when I change the configuration or upgrade the extension version).

Thank you for your guidance.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/11/19 04:42 By TonyGee.Reason: added a new thought

JMS is based on the sharing and not on duplication that require synchronization.
The risk that you have with synchronization is that you may have the recipient website offline or not working during a short period of time and you may lose some synchronization.
It is not easy to guarantee that different website are correctly synchronized.
This is the reason why we choosen to share the data and not duplicate them.
This provide 100% garantee for the consistency as the data is not duplicated.

If you share JomSocial, I think that you will also have to share JSPT to keep data consistent.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla