English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Moving master site to root domain from subdirecto
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Moving master site to root domain from subdirecto
Moving master site to root domain from subdirecto 12 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
I currently have my master site in a subdirectory. However, I would like to move it to the root domain. I see there is one mention of the subdirectory in the config_multisites.php file, but is there anything else I need to do to move the site?

Thanks!
brentwilliams2
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Moving master site to root domain from subdirecto 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
YES.

You have to remove all the Symbolic Links present in all the slave sites and rebuild resave the definition of each slave site to allow JMS rebuild the link with the new master website location.

You also have to delete the "index.php" and "index2.php" present in each slave sites to allow JMS rebuild them and update the path to your new location.

This is the same procedure as in the backup/restore procedure described
www.jms2win.com/en/faq/faq-joomla-multi-sites#cat-122
edwin2win
graph

Re: Moving master site to root domain from subdirecto 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks Edwin, but I'm a bit confused. Let me ask step by step:

1) Within /multisites/config_multisites.php, you must "Potentially delete the "master" cookies and master directory path."

- When I open that file, I see four main areas:
a) defined( '_EDWIN2WIN_' )
b) defined( 'MULTISITES_MASTER_ROOT_PATH' )
c) defined( 'MULTISITES_MASTER_COOKIE_DOMAINS' )
d) $md_hostalias = array

Which of these four sections am I supposed to remove?

2) Delete all the symbolic links present in each slaves sites "deployed directory".

- How does one accomplish this?

3) Delete the "index.php" and "index2.php" present in the root of each "deployed directory".

- I'm assuming this would /slave1/index2.php and /slave1/index.php, correct?

Thanks!
brentwilliams2
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Moving master site to root domain from subdirecto 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
1) remove or comment (b) and (c).

2) If you have an FTP tool or an explorer or an SSH terminal, just delete the symbolic links.

3) yes
edwin2win
graph

Re: Moving master site to root domain from subdirecto 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,
I'm having a bit of difficulty. I migrated the site to the base domain, and most things seemed to work ok. The slave sites were intact, although the menus were messed up. I tried what you suggested, and after some troubleshooting, I think I'm actually back where I started. On the front end of the slave site, the template looks ok and the modules are all fine, EXCEPT the menus. In the admin area, most things look ok, EXCEPT the menus. So something isn't quite right.

Do you provide paid technical support so I can make sure this gets solved correctly?

Thanks,

Brent
brentwilliams2
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Moving master site to root domain from subdirecto 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Update: It seems that the sites are getting confused back and forth. My master site would intermittently show the menu for my slave site, and vice versa.
brentwilliams2
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla