English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

How to update child slave menu items from parent
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: How to update child slave menu items from parent
How to update child slave menu items from parent 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

I've been working with the shared menu item extension however I'm not sure it is designed to help me achieve my plans.

I would like to update the menu items in the slave sites however I don't want them to link to other sites outside of the slave site.

Example 1: I may want to change the name of a particular menu item for all the child slave sites under a parent slave so I need to change the name in the parent slave and then all the child slaves change automatically however the menu link must still point to the page within the slave site.

Example 2: I may want to unpublish a menu item on all the child slave sites under the parent slave.

Example 3: I may want to change the menu item link for a page or component for all the child slave sites within the parent (however the new menu item link is to a page within the slave and not in the parent slave).

Can you please explain if this is possible with Multisites or with the menu sharing extension?

Thanks for your assistance with this.

Best regards.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to update child slave menu items from parent 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
Example 1: the "Multisites Menu Item" does NOT automatically update the label in the other site. Just the "action" that is shared.

Example 2: the "Multisites Menu Item" does NOT automatically enable/disable the menu item in all the slave site. It just help you to redirect on a "web link" that is compute dynamically. So does NOT do that.

Example 3: Yes the Multisites Menu Item can do that when you change a link in the "refenrenced" menu item , all the other menu item will be automatically updated as the link is computed dynamically.
edwin2win
graph

Re: How to update child slave menu items from parent 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Would it be possible to create a plugin that would allow me to update, for each menu:

1) Add/remove/disable a menu item in the parent slave and propogate the change to the child slave sites

2) Change the name/order/image icon for each menu item in the parent slave and it will propogate to all the child slave sites.

3) Change the link for each menu item in the parent slave and it will propogate to all the child slave sites HOWEVER the link is RELATIVE to the slave site and does not link the user to another slave (or parent slave) site.

For the points 1) and 3) above I understand if there are inconsistent components or pages installed on the slave sites it could cause a problem so would JMS be able to deal with this issue?

If this is possible how many support hours would this incur?
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: How to update child slave menu items from parent 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
Create what you request at the "menu" level is almost impossible as the parameters of each menu item might have different content in each website.
In example, if you want to display an article with id 1 in website A, this could have a totally different meaning in website B.
To avoid that, we chosen to make a kind of redirection at the menu item as synchronizing menu level is very complex when the content of the different website can be different.

If you accept the problem of inconsistency, we can effectivelly analyze the creation of a specific extension that would do that but with totally unpredictable result.
edwin2win
graph

Re: How to update child slave menu items from parent 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

Yes I do understand the issues you have highlighted.

I have 2 different kinds of menus': The first controls my components and the second controls article pages.

So I plan to create this plugin to update the menu that controls the components (primarily Jomsocial, Easyblog) and the other menu to control the article pages can be created using the current menu sharing and article sharing extensions.

Do you think there are any other side effects to consider from creating this special plugin?

Can you also please estimate how many support hours I should purchase to complete this task?
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

I have sent you an estimate by email and remembered you the limitations and potential inconsistencies.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla