English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

How to update child slave menu items from parent
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: How to update child slave menu items from parent
Re: How to update child slave menu items from parent 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

I've just discovered some strange behaviour with my slave site "Slave B" that has caused confusion with my query for this topic.

When I was testing the Multisites Menu Items yesterday I was creating menu items in the master site and they were updating with the exact changes in the Slave B site.

So I thought that the functionality was available that any changes in a Multisites menu item in the master are automatically carried through to the slave sites (after the slave site is re-saved in the 'manage sites' tab).

However today I have tested this functionality with a non-multisites menu item and it again did update the Slave B site menu item that I was testing yesterday.

So I tested this on a different Slave A site that was created with a different multisites template before Slave B and NO menu changes were carried from the master menu items to the Slave A site (no multisites menu item changes and no standard menu item changes were carried across).

So this now leads me to believe that the database is somehow shared for the menu items between the Master and Slave B that I was testing yesterday.

Lastly I changed a menu item name in the Slave B admin however this DID NOT change the menu item name in the Master. So how could the database be shared if they do not change both ways?

I've checked the templates used to create Slave A and Slave B and they are the same except that Slave B is using the dynamic new database creation script and Slave A is using the manual new database.

Please can you let me know what could be the reason for this?

Thanks and regards.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to update child slave menu items from parent 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
There is no DB sharing for the menu.
So if you see an update perform in the Slave B that is reflected automatically in a Slave A, this mean that in fact you are not connected on the Slave B (as you imagine) but that you are connected on the Slave A.

So you have to verify that you are connected on the appropriate website.
I remember you that the domain name must be spelled exactly the same way as in the list of slave site.
Perhaps also check that you have WWW and without WWW definition.
edwin2win
graph

Re: How to update child slave menu items from parent 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

You are right about this because I can see that the new database has 0kb size.

It seems that when I am trying to create a new database dynamically the new database and user is created however no data is copied to the new database.

In the multisites admin I can see all the settings are pointing to the new database so my questions are:

1) How do I copy the database information from the master across to the new slave database (after the database has been created)?

2) a. What database am I currently using for the slave? b. Is it possible that the slave is reading the master database but changes are being posted to the slave database? I ask this because when I change something in the master it changes on the slave but when I change it on the slave it does not change on the master.

3) All the settings on the slave site under 'manage sites' and 'tools > details' are pointing to the slave database. How do I change these settings to point to a different database?

Thanks and regards.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: How to update child slave menu items from parent 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
1) Create a JMS Template rule that replicate the master and that use your new DB name, ....
you can find in the forum "replicMaster" or similar the we have described several times.

2.a) Don't understand the question
2.b) No
If you have something that is change in several website, this is only when you share the content. Otherwise, this is not as you described.
You are probably not connected on the website that you thing and that you are in fact connected on the master instead of the slave. Verify the domain name and that you have spelled it correctly. Exact matching.

3) The database connection is defined in the standard joomla "configuration.php" file.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla