English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

When to re-save sites in Manage Sites?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: When to re-save sites in Manage Sites?
When to re-save sites in Manage Sites? 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

I had made a change to a parent slave site template (I changed a few icons and CSS styles) and I wanted to see the changes appear on the child slave site (the template is partially shared via a 'special copy' link).

I couldn't see the change until I re-saved the slave site in the 'Manage Sites' tab under multisites.

My questions are:

1) Each time I make a change like this in future do I need to re-save each slave site under 'Manage Sites'?

2) What situations do I generally need to re-save the sites under "Manage Sites"?

3) How can I speed up this process if I have 500+ slave sites?

Thanks for your help with this.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: When to re-save sites in Manage Sites? 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
Your question is not clear.

Do you have setup the slave site to have the "/templates" directory partially share with the action = "special copy" + the "template folder" = {deploy_dir}/templates

OR just the action = "special copy".

When you partially share the "/templates" directory, this create a "/templates" directory in which the subdirectories are symbolic links as shown in tutorial video 0.b - slide 34.
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-0b

1) If you did the setup as I have mentioned above (partially shared the /templates directory) then this is NOT related to open and resave the slave site definition to have the "html" and css file updated.
The only case where this might be required is when you add new templates subdirectory because you install a new templates but not when you update a CSS or an HTML file.

2) You have to open and resave a slave site (manage site) when you want that JMS restore or install new things that was not present.
This can be either extensions or files and folders.

3) Use the JMS tool and create group of slave site as illustrated in the tutorial video 0.b slide 24
edwin2win
graph

Re: When to re-save sites in Manage Sites? 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

Sorry about that. I had setup the slave sites with /templates and special copy link so they are partially shared.

1) Thanks that makes sense.

2) I'll ask my questions about updating component/module/plugin/article/menu's in another thread.

3) I don't quite understand the slides regarding creating groups. Does this mean that my deploy directory file structure must change? Also does this mean that my slave URL structure must change (because the slave URL must match the deploy directory structure)?

If you are referring to using 'Tools' to simply propogate changes to child slave sites from the parent (group) slave site then I can understand that, however it still does not answer the question about how to quickly re-save the 100's of slave sites under 'Manage Sites' tab (i.e. I want JMS to restore or install new things that was not present in the files or folders). Under the 'Manage sites' tab there is a flat structure and not a grouped tree structure like under 'Tools'.

Thanks for helping me to make sense of this.

Best regards.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

3) There is no Open/Save for several websites in the "manage site".
If you want to propagate an action to install an extension into several websites in one shot, you can do that with the JMS tools and with a slave site that is used to group a set of websites like illustrated in slide 24.
edwin2win
graph

Re: When to re-save sites in Manage Sites? 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

Sorry to be a pain about this issue.

I'm just not clear about the difference between using the 're-save' website under 'manage sites' and the 'tools' functions.

Does the function to install/update/un-install components/modules/plugins in 'Tools' replicate the function to 're-save' the website under 'manage sites'?

You said:
2) You have to open and resave a slave site (manage site) when you want that JMS restore or install new things that was not present.
This can be either extensions or files and folders.

What scenario would I need to use this function and can the 'Tools' function replace this?

I'm planning to setup hundreds (maybe even thousands) of slave sites and I just need to be clear about when I need to re-save the sites under 'manage sites' tab and it's limitations.

Thanks and regards.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

NO, Resave and JMS tools are different.
Resave just add missing JMS table, extension but does not uninstall.

The JMS tool can install, uninstall but also propagate to the childre websites.

If you want to create thousand of website, you have to create group of websites and use the JMS tools.
The "resave" just perform the update on a single websites.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla