English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Create New Site Frontend
Create New Site Frontend 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 1
Hi Edwin,

I'm trying to create a site from the front-end.

I am wondering what site_prefix is? What is that equivalent to when creating a site in the backend? Frontend I am only allowed to have 8 characters, would this be the "site id" as in the backend? In the backend, I can put entire urls.

What is the alias for? I am not using these sites as a subdomain or a directory. These sites are for their own domain names.

Creating a site in the backend, I see that I can use {site_id-1} if you were to put "www.multisites.com". However, using ID's like this never work for some reason. It gives an error if I try to use a domain name for the siteID:

Code:

JDatabaseMySQL::query: 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;  check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '.com_users AS SELECT * FROM `gottesma_joomla`.`jos_users`' at line 1 SQL=CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW www.snowglobe.com_users AS SELECT * FROM `gottesma_jooml a`.`jos_users`

It seems I just need the same fields as the backend. I just need textfields for domain name they want, and site title. Everything else can be generated. Can you please tell me where I am going wrong?

Thanks.
buddyq
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Create New Site Frontend 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 54
Site prefix is a mnemonic or short value that you can use in the JMS Template rule to compute a Site ID.
See the tutorial video 14 and 13 that show a sample on how to create slave site from the front-end.
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-14
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-13

The alias is a synonym that you would like to use for the website.
So for example, you can create and deploy a website in a directory that is computed with number of funy stull that is not necessary public and create an alias with a symbolic link that point to website location.
So you could create a website like domain.com/{site_alias} that point to a site that is located in domain.com/multisites/{user_id}{site_prefix}

To use the {site_id-N}, you need to have a {site_id} value.
In the JMS template rule, you have to specify the method to compute the "New Site ID" value.

Becarefull that a table prefix can NOT have dot(.) present or this would result by a SQL error.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Create New Site Frontend 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 1
Code:

Site prefix is a mnemonic or short value that you can use in the JMS Template rule to compute a Site ID.

I want to calculate the site_id based on the domain name they would enter. However, only 8 characters is not enough. Why is the creation on the frontend so limited for the same values?

Code:

So you could create a website like domain.com/{site_alias} that point to a site that is located in domain.com/multisites/{user_id}{site_prefix}

I don't really care about alias. For my purposes, for the most part is useless. Where do they put the domain.com?

This is confusing because the fields are different on the front-end vs. the backend.
buddyq
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

edwin2win wrote:
[quote]Site prefix is a mnemonic or short value that you can use in the JMS Template rule to compute a Site ID.
See the tutorial video 14 and 13 that show a sample on how to create slave site from the front-end.
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-14
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-13[/code]

I watched the tutorials. I am following the rules, however, there are issues.

1) This does now allow them to create websites that have their own domain names. Only seems to be subdomains.
2) To keep things simple in the backend, and in the database, my folders and database prefixes are the domain name without the www and the .com parts.

I have always created the sites from the backend and in the sites_id field I put this for example:
jms2win

Then in the domains field I put:
jm2win.com
www.jms2win.com

So, as you can see, I don't want a site_id of u62_prefix_. It's not very easy to find what I need and becomes a code looking db prefix, etc.

Also, there is no flexibility for them to create a site for a brand new domain name.

Tutorial 14 does not apply to me since I am letting them create the sites free and am not going to hook it up to VirtueMart.

I tried creating a site from the front-end and once again, it does not come back with a success message and just goes to the homepage. I look in the backend and the site has not been created. I tried just using simple prefix like "testsite" but it did not work.

UPDATE --
My template did not have the 'message' module and I added it and the error it gives me is:
You must register the product to create a website from the front-end

I thought I did register it long ago.

UPDATE 2
I just did another test trying to create a site from the frontend. It gives me the error that I need to register the product still. But also, after trying to create a site, it then tells me that I need to check patches. And it seems it messes up the "configuration.php" file. I have to reapply patches every time I try to create a site from frontend.

UPDATE 3
Got rid of the error! I searched the forums and found that it was because of it not being registered. I found out how to register it and creation works. Also, since it works there is no more error with the patches.

However, there are still 2 issues I am having after creation:
1) There is no success message displayed after it creates the site.
2) I do not see the new site in my sites list. I do see it in the backend, however, I do NOT see in my sites on the front-end. The username is correct in the backend.

Buddy
buddyq
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/02/03 01:32 By buddyq.

Edwin, please resond to the post above. I have spent a lot of time trying to explain everything i'm doing and the two outstanding things at the end of the message above. Can you fix these two things?
buddyq
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Create New Site Frontend 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 54
Site ID is not provided in the front-end to allow computing the Site ID value based on the information provided from the front-end.

If you want to use the {site_prefix} or {site_alias} that autorize more character, up to you to decide which one to use in your JMS Template rule.

If you want to create your own layout and change the rendering from the front-end, you can also do it as you have the "templates" directory for the JMS layouts.

The sample that we provided in the video use Site ID computation to ensure that the site ID is unique whatever the value entered by the users.

If you want to say Site ID = Site Alias, you can do it.
In this case, the field Site Alias will contain your domain name.
Just change the label in a specific layout that you would create to display "domain name"

If you want to create slave site with domain name think also to setup you HTTP Server and apache to add the VirtualHost definition with this domain.
JMS does not change and configure apache according to the new domain definition.

You can register JMS when you go in the "about us" menu.

Don't try installing the "check patches" from a slave site.
The managment of JMS should only be performed from a slave site.
If you try managin JMS from a slave site, you will always have an error message reported as the slave site does not contain the patch to be a master.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla