English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Limiting users to login
Limiting users to login 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1
Hi Edwin,

I'm hoping you can help me here...

I want my master domain to house all my users and their information. So when I or they create a site from the front-end or me from the backend, I would like ONLY them to be able to login to their new site. However, I can't figure out how to do this from creating the site in the backend. The template I am using does not share the users because I do not want everyone else to be able to login to userA's website. If I share users, won't they all be able to login to userA's site?

How can I accomplish this?

Buddy
buddyq
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Limiting users to login 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
You need to use the "Partial User Sharing" extenion to allow defining a specific user sharing and give you the possibility to declare which user has access to which website.

Therefore, all the users will be shared but in slave site will just see the users that can have access it.
www.jms2win.com/en/joomla-multisite?page...52&category_id=1
edwin2win
graph

Re: Limiting users to login 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1
Hmm.... I'm a little confused.

So now, I have to have a whole new component and administer users on a per site basis manually?

Why can't the Multisites component just allow the "owner" of the site to login as an admin as well? It makes sense that the owner should be automatically allowed to login.

When creating a site from the front-end, you have the administrator login boxes. Will that allow them to setup a user so they can login as well? It would be nice for a user who is logged in to automatically be added as the admin using their user/pass.

Can this be done automatically? I don't think the user partial sharing is what I am looking for because manually doing everything is the opposite of what I'm looking for. I need automation.
buddyq
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Limiting users to login 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
The management of the user permission is managed by Joomla and not by JMS.

When you add the "Partial User Sharing", there are several plugin that are delivered to allow automatic add users permission for the website where they were created and you can also propagate the autorisation into other websites. So you can configure in which website a registered user has the access.

If you want to have different permission depending on the website, you can not share all the info concerning the users and you at that moment, you have to login in the back-end of the appropriate website to use the Joomla User Management to ajust the permission to what you want.

In want to change the permission of a user when creating a website from the front-end, this will require a specific plugin to change the permission of the user once the slave site is created.
We already created a such kind of specific plugin for one customer with other specific things for this customer.

Originally, the website creation from the front-end is used to create website that does not share anything and therefore you can use the "Admin User" field to select a user with a specific privilege.

In this particular, you want to create a website from the front-end and in the same time share the users. So when you share the user, the privileges are the same for all the websites. So, if you want to change that, this require a specific development.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Limiting users to login 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1
Edwin,

Sometimes your responses are more confusing because your english is not the best. No offense, it's just true.

Are you saying that the way it originally worked is the person that you choose as owner when making the site is able to login as admin?

Partial User Sharing seems confusing. This is what I want....

User logs into frontend of website.
Able to create site from front-end.
Since they are logged in, I would like them added to any site they create from the frontend as a user. As well as the super admin(s) added to the site. Can this be done automatically?

Buddy
buddyq
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Limiting users to login 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 54
Don't worry, I am not offensed because I know that my english is not perfect.
The most important is that we arrive to undersand each other.

At the orgin, each slave site had their own wesbite with their own users.
In this case, no problem to change the "Admin User" with new value and give this one to the user.

When you decide to create website from the front-end that share the users, of course, you can no more use this rule as this will share the "Admin User" for ALL the website.

The current function of the website creation from the front-end does NOT add any users in the DB. This update the "Admin User" that you have defined in the JMS Template rule.

So your request that consist to add a user in the new slave site is NOT possible because in the same time you mentioned that the users are shared. You can NOT have 2 users with the same email address.
So you need the "Partial User Sharing" to resolve this problem and be able to change the permission right in the new created slave site as I have explained earlier.

So either you create slave site with their own users not shared.
Or if you want to share the users between the website, you need the "Partial User Sharing" and a specific development to change the permission of the EXISTING (shared) user in the new created slave site to grant it with the "administrator" permission.

You can NOT add a users with same value in a shared user environment. You can just update.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2012/03/03 14:48 By edwin2win.

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla