English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Change domain name for master site
Change domain name for master site 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
I have a multisite installation that has been using a subdomain (for development purposes only) for the master site. Installation has 2 slave site subdomains, but all are using the same root domain. When I'm ready to take this live, how should I change the master site domain name in JMS? For example, right now, the development master site is subdomain.domain.com, but once we take this live, it should be domain.com. No folders will need to be changed; master site is installed at the root of the hosting plan. Thanks in advance.
swcomm
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Change domain name for master site 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
By definition, any domain or subdomain that are not defined in the list of slave sites are a master.
Therefore, you can define any domain or subdomain that pointing to the master website directory. They will be considered as master as long you are not defining them as a slave site.

So just define in your server that the domain point to the master website "document root".
edwin2win
graph

Re:Change domain name for master site 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
OK, that worked like a dream on the root site. But I have another problem now. One of the development slave sites (subdomain2.domain.com) is a development subdomain. When taking this project live, I routed the actual subdomain (subdomain.domain.com) to the same deployed folder as the development subdomain (subdomain2.domain.com), and changed the site domain in Multisites to reflect the actual domain. Subdomain2 is still active, but subdomain is pretty broken - using the master site template and menus. Was using this as my guideline:

www.jms2win.com/en/forum/23-general-ques...hout-rebuilding#8647

Suggestions? Thanks.
swcomm
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Change domain name for master site 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
Sorry but I don't really understand your question.

If you just want to change a subdomain associated to a slave site, you can edit the slave site definition and change its domain value.

If the problem is related to the directory on the disk where it is deployed, you have to redeploy the website into another directory.

You seems also mention that the joomla /templates directory is shared between the website.
If you don't want that, verify the JMS template rule that you used to create the slave site. I suppose that the JMS Templates rule has a "templates" folder action = "special copy".
edwin2win
graph

Re:Change domain name for master site 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
I don't understand your answer either. All I did was edit the slave site URL under manage sites. Deploy directory did not change, the correct template is in the deploy directory and was working fine on the development URL. Domain was routed correctly at the host.
swcomm
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Change domain name for master site 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
When a website is not defined in the list of slave site, this display the master website.
Verify that the slave site definition were saved with success.
If you had received an error during the saving, the "internal index" present in JMS is not refresh.
To ensure that the "internal index" present in JMS is refreshed, you can open/resave any slave site definition that complete with success.
Or create a fake "fresh" slave definition to finish with a success. When the fake is created, you can deleted. The objective is to have a success.

So if you have the master website that is displayed, this is either because you didn't spelled the domain name correctly (sometimes the www is missing or the revers) OR that you had an error while saving the slave site.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla