English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Manually create Symbolic Links
Manually create Symbolic Links 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi, I just purchased your product and I'm very excited to you it.

My hosting provider requires that I submit a support ticket to them to set up any symbolic links that I may need through their hosting.

In the backend of the site create, it says that a set of symbolic links are created. What are these and how can let my provider know what to set up for me?

Thanks in advance,

Jake
jakeknight
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Manually create Symbolic Links 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
Like explained in the tutorial video 0.a but also in video 0.b slide 10, the concept of JMS Multisites is to share the same joomla installation (PHP code).
One of the solution to share the same Joomla php code is to use Symbolic Link.

So when you deploy a slave site into a specific directory, JMS Multisites create plenty of Symbolic Link to your physical joomla installation.
You can control the link with the JMS Template menu and when you define rule.
See also the tutorial video 0.b slide 31-34 that give more detail on the way to create a rule for the new directory structure and symbolic links.
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-0b
edwin2win
graph

Re: Manually create Symbolic Links 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Ok I will give this a try. But from your tutorials, you start with the Create New Site step. And when you click to create the site, it tells you that you have successfully created the site an that "a set of symbolic links has been created."

I get an error message. According to my hosting provider, they do support symbolic links but require that they set them up for me upon request. I will look further into the tutorials you suggested above.

Thank you and I will follow up with this as well.
jakeknight
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Well I went back today and saw the confirmed indicator on my JMS salve site. I checked out the folders on the ftp and it appears that all of my slave symbolic links were present. I ran the hello world and it checked out.

However, it's not functional. I am getting the No configuration file found and no installation code available. Exiting...

I have read in another post about permissions with FTP, but I am the sole owner of all of these directories. If I try to go directly to the installation folder, I get a 500 server error.

Not sure what the cause of this is yet, but I hoping to find out.
jakeknight
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

This is the error I got when I tried to save my site from MultiSites on the master:

Unable to create the symbolic link [index.html] -> [/mnt/stor3-wc2-dfw1/489720/{mydomain}/web/content/index.html].
jakeknight
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Manually create Symbolic Links 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
You have this error message on the symbolic link because it probably contain a link that is not the expected value.

When creating a slave, JMS Multisites verify that all the Symbolic Links have the correct path to the master website.
So if you have created the links manually instead using JMS Multisites, you have to verify the Symbolic Links.

I am suprised that you have a "index.html" in the root of a website.
In general, the entry point of a website is a "index.php" PHP and not HTML.

Perhpas you can "ignore" this "index.html".
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla