English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Editing the Slave Site changes the Master
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Editing the Slave Site changes the Master
Editing the Slave Site changes the Master 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Hi

I think I have got this working almost... took some configuration but I can not create a copy slave site. BUT... when I go into Admin of the slave to change content, it changes the master site content, and NOT the slave! I checked the URL and I am on the slave site.

It is as though the admin of the slave site is using the configuration.php file of the master site. The configuration.php of the slave site is there, and has the slave site database details, I just dont think admin is using it, whereas the front end is.

Do you know what this could be?

Thanks
amityweb
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Web Design Cardiff
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Editing the Slave Site changes the Master 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 54
Verify that you correctly spelled the domain that you enter in the slave site definition.
If it is correctly spelled, verify that you have enter the definition with www and without WWW.

When you enter a URL in a browser, it arrives like that in the server and when this is not a "domain redirection", it reaches joomla.
Jms Multi Sites analyze the URL received and verify if it corresponds to one of the domain that you have defined in the list of slave sites.
This is an exact matching. So this is case sensitive.

When there is no matching, it displays the master websites and not the slave.

So verify again the domain name that you have enter in the slave site definition.

If you are using another domain name than your master one, verify that you didn't have redirected the domain to the master. Otherwise, this will be the "master" domain that will be received by the server.

Try review the tutorial video 9 that show a case with a subdirectory. It works on server with Symbolic Link allowed.
Enter exactly the same keyword values.
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-9

If you are using a cPanel and want to define a subdomain, see the video CP-04.
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-CP-04
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2011/04/04 18:11 By edwin2win.

Re:Editing the Slave Site changes the Master 13 Years ago Karma: 0
Sorry for the late reply to this, I have been really busy lately and have not had a chance to pursue it, but I have spent some time tonight...

Looks like I have it working. I think I must have just had domains wrong, or not mapped or something, because I got it working now. You have to map the domain in CPanel yes? An Add On Domain? Because JMS wont do that for you will it?

Anyway, is there a way to not map incorrect domain names to the master site? This is where it gets confusing, because I am copying the master template, so in order to know if it is a copy and not the same site, I have to make content changes everytime to test. Would be good to see some error if there is a domain problem rather than show the master site?

Thanks
amityweb
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Web Design Cardiff

Re:Editing the Slave Site changes the Master 13 Years ago Karma: 54
JMS does not contain any interface with the HTTP Server administration tool like (cPanel, Plesk, Direct Admin, Windows IIS, ....)
So this is you that have to do the setting in the HTTP Server (probably cPanel in your case).

Yes you can setup cPanel incorrectly and assign a wrong document root that might give wrong results.

As there are so many platform and environment, it is very hard to implement specific validation for each HTTP Server and hosting environment.
This is the administrator of a website and the person who is doing the setup of the HTTP Server that is supposed to know its environment and is able to verify its settings. Each case is specific.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla