English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Symlinks - working and not working
Symlinks - working and not working 12 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0
Greetings,

I am running JMS-MS on J! 1.5.23. Under both "Settings" and using the hello.php - JMS reports that Symlinks are Forbidden. My host reports they are working just fine. I am on a cPanel host and in the /home/user root, typical to cpanel sites, I have public_html and www (a symlink) -- it works great.

In Joomla I have run the /tmp and /log tests in global config. The paths are absolutely correct, and the program still reports symlinks are forbidden.

I developed a JMS template in the MASTER site - and from it I created a SLAVE site. The slave uses an add-on domain which is properly linked to on the server. The slave is located under the master here: .../MASTER/multisites/SLAVE

When I visit the slave site all I see are two errors on the page:

Warning: require_once(/home/USER/public_html/www1/multisites/u_i-tech.me/includes/defines.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/USER/public_html/www1/multisites/u_i-tech.me/index.php(11) : eval()'d code on line 21

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/USER/public_html/www1/multisites/u_i-tech.me/includes/defines.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/USER/public_html/www1/multisites/u_i-tech.me/index.php(11) : eval()'d code on line 21

I am happy to supply more detailed information - please ask. I am not sure where I have gone wrong.

Thanks,
--Kevin
Gremlin
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Symlinks - working and not working 12 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 54
If the hello world (video 7) replies forbidden, this mean that is really forbidden from a website.

Perhaps you can create symbolic links using a SSH terminal but not when called from apache.

So you have to check your server and apache to verify that it accept to create symbolic lins - perhaps this is disabled by your hosting provider.

Use the "hello world" to perform the test as it does not require any joomla or other stuff to test it.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Symlinks - working and not working 12 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0
Greetings Edwin,

Thanks for your reply. My host reports that symlinks ARE allowed, but hello.php reports they are not. My host says it's because the hello.php symlink is in the same folder as the script (?)... Not sure what to do next. I'm not skilled at using the SSH terminal.
Gremlin
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Symlinks - working and not working 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
NO.
The "hello world" create temporary files to test the symbolic links and if it replies this is not allowed, this is probably due to the apache configuration that does not allow using the symbolic links.

Perhaps you can try increase the directory permission and perhaps a 777 on your directory will accept that.
If this is the case, this would mean that your server use another user to process the PHP script and that you don't have the permission to execute it.
This case may happen when your hosting provider does not have the suPHP module installed on the server to manage correctly the file and folder ownership.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla