English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Understanding problems with Symlinks
Understanding problems with Symlinks 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
I am setting up a website that can be quickly replicated using JMS and need a better understanding of how some things work... I have some questions:

===========
Certain components I am using store their settings in an INI file within the component directory. As such, would it then be necessary for me to COPY the components folder to each new site (as opposed to sharing it)? I believe if it is shared, then all users will be subject to the settings in the .ini file under the master site ... correct?

===========
My understanding of Symlinks is getting better these days, but I need some clarification. I installed a slave site using a JMS template - the slave is a copy of the master site. Under Folders and Files (tab) in the JMS template I used symlink (SL) for the /administrator directory. Upon logging into the slave site's admin (SLAVE1.mysite.com/administrator) - I was redirected to the master sites admin pages and URL (MASTER.mysite.com/administrator). I require that each site I create has its own administration panel. Should I also COPY the /administration folder to allow each new slave to have its own admin section? Or is there a way to share the files in the /admin folder, while retaining the settings in the slave site's own DB?

Thanks!
--Kevin
Gremlin
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2011/06/22 02:23 By Gremlin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Understanding problems with Symlinks 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
If some extension save their configuration in file on the disk, they must be modified to ensure they use a unique name for their configuration.
So the extension must be patched when possible.
This avoid to copy the components directory and therefore become desyncrhonized with the master website. So do not copy the components directory.

If the slave site is redirected to the master website, this perhaps mean that you didn't have correctly spelled the domain name in JMS.
It is case sensitive and you perhaps also enter the domain name with www and without www. So check that you correctly spelled the domain name.
If correctly spelled, also check that the "configuration.php" does not contain a "live_url" path that redirect to another domain.

Never copy the administrator, components or other directories excepted the images and templates directories. This would avoid you plenty of problem to syncrhonize the PHP code.
JMS Multisites does not provide any synchronization system. It is based on the sharing. So no duplication of Joomla and data.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Understanding problems with Symlinks 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks Edwin -

I solved the problem of being redirected to the master admin by digging further into these forums. I had not entered a unique "site title" for the slave. Once I did that - problem solved.

I am still struggling with the on-disk config issue, but you have set me straight on that. I will edit the code in the component and move the unique configurations to the root of the sites and I'll be sure to COPY them in the template.

One new issue has arisen: In my JMS template for copying the master site to a slave, I have COPY set for /images - as I need separate and isolated image folders for each new site. I also set New Media Folder and New Images Folders in the template to /images and /images/stories. However - when I log into the slave, edit an article and upload an image (using JCKeditor), the images are uploaded to the master site's images folder - not the slave.

* I have verified under the slave's root folder that there is indeed an /images folder and not a symlink.
* I checked the settings in JCKeditor and all paths are relative to the current site (not absolute).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Kevin
Gremlin
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/06/23 23:14 By Gremlin.

Re: Understanding problems with Symlinks 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
Does JCK Editor is a new name for the FCKEditor.
The FCK Editor need a patch.
Perhaps JCK Editor also need a patch.
Would you please send us this JCKEditor in the attachement of an email for review.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla