English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Symbolic Links from One Slave to Another
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Symbolic Links from One Slave to Another
Symbolic Links from One Slave to Another 12 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
EDIT: Solved the issue myself using Unix!

Hi, I'm still new to using JMS2Win and had a question - How can I specify a newly created to share some of its folders (administrator, images, media, templates) with a parent slave site, when the default appears to be to create all symbolic links off of the master?

EXAMPLE: I have a Master site in the root of my hosting directory and used the manual and tutorials to successfully create a fresh slave from a template into a specific directory. All of my sites will share the same DB, so each has a unique table prefix and I used a template for the fresh slave so that I could specify that the administrator, images, media, and templates folders be physical copies rather than symlinks. This allows me to create unique front-end and back-end branding on my slave site.

Now that the fresh slave has been created to my specifications, I want to create two children slaves that will be subdomains of the fresh slave. I have created the template based off of the tutorial for user DB sharing. I selected the fresh slave site as my template, and left the administrator, images, media, and template folders set to the SL parameter thinking that the symbolic links would be to the fresh slave. However, the symlinks created were to the corresponding folders and files from my Master site in the root directory.

Is there a way to use the component to make more specific selections of the source for the symlink, or will this require that I create my own symlinks through a Unix terminal on my host?
cp_studio
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2011/07/11 17:26 By cp_studio.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Symbolic Links from One Slave to Another 12 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
The concept of JMS is effectivelly to share the same Joomla PHP code (the master one).

Here you described to that you did a physical copy of the master to create a snapshot as slave site and that you could like after that create "subsites" sharing the new snapshot slave site.
You are right that it is not possible to specify the "source" of the symbolic link.

I will have a look to give the opportunity to change the default "Symbolic Link" source like this is possible when creating a rule using "copy" or "unzip".

I will notice that as nice to have feature.

In the meantime, if you want to automate the processing, you could use the front-end website creation where you could add a PHP script to perform additional stuff.
For example, you could "ignore" the directories in JMS and execute an additional script to build the links.
edwin2win
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2011/07/11 18:54 By edwin2win.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla