English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Multisites & configuration.php file outside public
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Multisites & configuration.php file outside public
Multisites & configuration.php file outside public 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,

Does Multisites support having the configuration.php file outside public folder?

Thanks,
bonfiresalomon
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Multisites & configuration.php file outside public 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
NO the "configuration.php" can not be outside of the root directory of the website.
We don't know how you can do that in a standard Joomla without hacking the joomla code and also extensions that are assuming that the "configuration.php" is located in the root like VirtueMart, paypal notification, ....

In case of JMS, it is assumed that the "configuration.php" file is located in the root of the "deploy folder".
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2011/08/14 09:39 By edwin2win.

Re: Multisites & configuration.php file outside public 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks Edwin,

Yes, placing sensitive information like the configuration.php file is becoming more commonplace with each release of Joomla, according to Joomla's tutorial. It is still two simple modifications to the core code at this time, but nonetheless, offers many security advantages.
bonfiresalomon
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Multisites & configuration.php file outside public 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks Edwin, I appreciate the comprehensive answer.

JMS Fan
bonfiresalomon
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Multisites & configuration.php file outside public 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
I know that you can hack the core of Joomla to change the location of the "configuration.php" file but I don't know any third party extension that is using the internal definition to intialize a joomla when this is not called from the Joomla index.php file.

I repeat that for example PAYPAL payment notification for VirtueMart assume that the "configuration.php" is present in the root directory and that you can not change that.

Perhaps we will include in a future JMS 1.3.x version the possibility to customize the "configuration.php" location of the slave site and setup another directory than the default joomla one.
I will add that to my "nice to have" feature for JMS 1.3.x.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla