English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Overwrote master site database with slave database
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Overwrote master site database with slave database
Overwrote master site database with slave database 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

I've updated to the latest version of Multi Sites with Joomla 1.7.3

I've been creating my slave sites without any issues however I created a template slave site and just tried to create a new slave site from the template slave site.

However since I've done this it seems that Multisites has overwritten the Master database with the template slave database. I can see in my Master site admin settings that the database name is now the template slave database and I cannot see any slave sites in the 'tools' menu (I cannot install or propogate to the slave sites either).

Is this a bug in the latest version or have I done something wrong to overwrite (or change) my Master database to the template slave database?

Please let me know how to fix this?

EDIT: I think I've figured out the problem. I created a template to create the slave sites from the master however I changed the same template to create the slave sites from the slave template site (instead of creating a new template).

Is it true that the slave sites are continually linked to their original template file and if you change the template file then the slave sites change?

I can now see my slave sites under tools however my database for the master is still using that 'slave site template' database so I'll just manually change this in Joomla system config.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track here?

EDIT 2: I can confirm that the configuration.php was overwritten in the master site directory with the JMS2Win Multisites config file so the master was connecting to the slave template site database. Please let me know how this happened?

Thanks and regards.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2011/11/17 06:41 By TonyGee.Reason: Making the post more relevant
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Overwrote master site database with slave database 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
I've been messing around with this almost the entire day. Not only is the master site configuration.php file being overwritten I've also now noticed that my slave sites are not working. Everytime I try access the URL I get a page 404 error.

I've finally noticed that since I've upgraded Multisites the option to deploy the sites to a specific directory is now missing. So perhaps this is why I cannot find my sites on the frontend?

I had created a slave before the upgrade when I had the option to deploy to a specific directory and that site works fine.

Please can you let me know where to go from here. I feel like I'm just running in circles now.

Thanks.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Overwrote master site database with slave database 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
Yes the slave sites remain linked to their "JMS template" rule as this is the only way that is know how the website were created and also in some case that need to be refreshed.

A possible reason why you have overwritten the "configuration.php" with a slave site one would be that you have used the FTP layer and that the FTP Root directory is the master.

This is the "deploy folder" path that determine where the "configuration.php" is written.
So if you have setup the "deploy folder" with the master root directory then you can also replace this file.

For your information, when you have installed JMS the first time, it has performed a backup of different files including the original "configuration.php" (without the JMS patches).
So if you need to recover the "configuration.php" you can have a look in the /administrator/components/com_multisites/backup or backup_on_install

We didn't change the detection of the symbolic links.
So if the "deploy folder" field has disappear, you have to verify the permission of the files and folders.

Use also the "hello world" procedure in the tutorial to verify that you have the Symbolic Link available.

I think that you have first to restore the DB connection into your master website (configuration.php).
After that you should be able to connect on the master again and re-install the patches for the master "configuration.php"

I suspect that you have permission issue and that you have different files and folder ownership that would explain that you don't see the "deploy folder" field.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Overwrote master site database with slave database 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks for your response Edwin.

It's good to know that the templates are linked to the slave sites.

I'm not using the FTP layer so the only issue could be the permissions. It's strange because I didn't make any changes to the folders or permissions and it was working fine before the upgrade to the latest JMS2Win version (my host does support symbolic links etc).

I had already restored my master configuration.php and re-applied the patches however the deploy folder settings are still missing.

Can you please let me know what folders and files should be set to what permissions?

Thanks for your assistance with this.

Best regards.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Overwrote master site database with slave database 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
Reapply the procedure that is described in the tutorial video 4 to 7.

The directories that are check is the tmp and logs as explained in tuorial video 6
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-6
edwin2win
graph

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your response. I deleted all my slave sites, templates, uninstalled all the patches and then re-installed JMS Multisites and then re-installed the patches and the deploy folder fields appeared again (I basically reset the site back to the beginning).

I then performed the hello.txt and hello.php test and everything worked fine as described in the tutorials. I also contacted my host and they assured me that there are no restrictions with my symbolic links.

The problem however still exists that when I create a new slave site from the template the slave site copies over the master configuration.php. Then when I look again in the template the deployment folder option is again removed and in the 'folders and files' tab the option for 'symbolic links' is removed.

Here are my settings:

I select the 'Master Site' under 'Template site' and then I enter my slave site database details for host and database name (I leave the username and password blank because it's the same for all my databases). And the database prefix is {site_id}

The master directory is:

/chroot/home/myaccount/mydomain.com/html/master

The deploy directory is:

/chroot/home/myaccount/mydomain.com/html/slave1

No FTP layer is checked.

It does seem that the issue is related to the symbolic links however I'm not sure what additional work can be done. My host has asked me what more they need to check and configure so they are willing to help.

Please let me know what else I can try to resolve this issue?

Thanks and regards.

Edit 22/11/11: Is it important to note that my server is running with LiteSpeed?
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/11/22 02:01 By TonyGee.

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla