English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: create child slave from parent slave
create child slave from parent slave 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi guys,

I've been reading the documentation and it seems like the most secure and robust way to setup the sites is to create a master site that includes every extension/module/plugin and then to setup a 'parent slave' site that will be the 'template' for the 'children slave' sites.

The 'parent slave' will have the customised selection of extensions/modules/plugins etc that are to be used for the 'children slave' sites (and the master still contains everything - like a library).

So the structure looks like:

master > parent slave > slave 1
master > parent slave > slave 2

Is this thinking correct?

If so, I've created a template for the 'parent slave' and then created the 'parent slave' site.

I've then created a template for the 'children slave' based on the 'parent slave' site.

The problem is that when I try generate the 'child slave' site I can only install it via the Joomla! installer. I want it to work in the same way as the 'parent slave' however this does not seem possible.

Please can someone explain where I've gone wrong or let me know the best way to configure the 'children slave' sites?

Thanks and regards.

EDIT: I've resolved this issue. It was a configuration conflict with my subdomains in my domain control panel. I simply created a folder in my FTP server instead of a subdomain and it worked fine.
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2011/11/24 09:30 By TonyGee.Reason: removed the solved header
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: [Solved] create child slave from parent slave 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
Yes consider the master as a repository or a library is our recommendation and we also suggest to not put any data in the master - just install the extensions required by the slave sites.

Yes you must have consistency between cPanel domain (or subdomain) with its "document root" and the JMS "domain" field and "deploy folder" field.
edwin2win
graph

Re: create child slave from parent slave 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Edwin wrote:Yes consider the master as a repository or a library is our recommendation and we also suggest to not put any data in the master - just install the extensions required by the slave sites.

Please can you explain in a little more detail why it is so important to leave the master site 'clean'? I'm concerned to only work in the 'parent slave' because it is so easy to just delete the site by mistake in the admin.

Is it a security threat?
TonyGee
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/11/24 09:30 By TonyGee.

Re: create child slave from parent slave 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
When you install an extension in a slave site, this copy the table that are present in the master.
So do you want to put content each time in a slave where you have to cleanup after.

When you want to delete a slave, you have a confirmation screen that is displayed.
So you have to read carefull before confirm to delete.
When you are working live, it is always good to have a good backup.

If you read the user manual, to reduce risk we always recommend to avoid using jos_ and also put the slave site into the master website that should be considered as a repository without data.

This is just a recommendation but you can do in other way if you want.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla