English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Slave site of slave site
Re: Slave site of slave site 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
OK, thank you for the answer.

This is not the best solution for me as I have weddingof.com domain. I would like to let users to create for example weddingof.com/janeandmike (upon wedding of Jane and Mike idea).
It means that the directory "janeandmike" must be in public_html between the master site's core files. Not the best... :-/

So, it means, if I want to make customers to let them create a site weddingof.com/{site_alias}, {site_alias} must be the directory name in public_html. As I have seen in the forums so far, usually you don' suggest such a non-uique directory name.

I really don't want very much to critizise you, as the idea and potential is great behind JMS multisite, and I like it, but the documentation and tutorials are poor. You make bot for your customers and yourself a lot of extra headache and work with this.
For example it was very misleading tutorials, that it seemed like I give mysite.com/{site_id} I could have a different domain name like the directory structure behind.

Generaly, there are many things what you repeat in your tutorials, or detail unnecceseraly deep (how to create subdomain and DB in Cpanel), but there are many not speaking about at all, or don't give a solution (meanwhile subdomain creation in CPanel is detailed you are telling me to create a script for folder structure).
Few example:
- I really don't know how to use it "Alias link" field in the template as it is not in your documentation and you don't use it in your tutorials.
- letter tree (for exapmle if I use letter tree enabled and create a slave_site, independently that I copy the whole template folder, the slave site will always have that template color setup like the master. If I disable letter tree but do everything else the same way, the slave site and the master site template color setup can be independent)
- to level domain parsing
- variables (for example I used {rnd_psw_6} for DB prefix, but caused problem as it uses special characters as well)
- Alias link filed in template creation
- and many things like this

Best regards

Jozsef
joekker
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2012/03/01 12:54 By joekker.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Slave site of slave site 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
If you want to create an alias that point to the deploy folder, you can do it and use in this case the additional "Alias folder" parameters where you would write something like {root}/{site_id}

You always need to have a matching between your URL and the location on the disk.
If you want to create a link from the public_html/{site_id} ---> public_html/multisites/{site_id} then you have to use the sample above.

How to create a website in a subdomain is illustrated in the tutorial video CP-04
www.jms2win.com/en/tutorial#jms12x-CP-04

The letter tree is a parameter that change the /multisites directory structure when there are a lot of slave site expected. In this case, the website are not more save with the name but with a letter tree of the name.
This can impact your template definition when you decide to deploy the website into the internal JMS structure.

Yes you can not use a random password generation in a DB prefix or DB name as you have specifial character. Why don't you use the User ID in your rule?
edwin2win
graph

Re: Slave site of slave site 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Thank you for the asnwers.
I wanted to use the random password for DB prefix as I wanted to make frontend creation as simple as possible. I wanted to force users only to give alias, title and chosing the tamplate.
If I use user_id I need to add site_prefix as well, to allow a user to create more sites stored in the same DB with more prefixes. In this case user need to provide a site prefix as well (for example a literature teacher who wants to create a wedding site will hard to understand what the prefix for).

Thanks for the alias explonation and example, I will try it. To be honest I did already, but as it is named "link" I have typed mysite.com/{site_id} into the "Alias link" field.

Yes, the aim of the letter tree I understand I only haven't found anything about it in the documentation.
By the way, is it normal that using the letter tree the slave site cannot have it's own template color setup, if I disable letter tree than I can set up the template color of the slave site independently from the master? I think it shouldn't be different.

Jozsef
joekker
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Slave site of slave site 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 54
The letter tree is something more or less internal and this condition the way that JMS saves its internal information.

I will try to add some explaination in the User Manual for that.

What do you mean by the template color?
Is it a parameters that you setting inside the Joomla template manager where you setup the template to have a specific color or layout ?
If YES, depending on the Joomla version, the way that joomla manage the parameters is different.
Under Joomla 1.5, you have as many "params.ini" files as you have websites.
In Joomla 1.7 or 2.5, the parameters are saved in the DB and therefore are specific for each website.

Some templates companies creates their own framework to replace the joomla framework.
In this case, this depends on the template company and depends on their framework.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Slave site of slave site 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Yes, the latter is the case.
I use Joomlart template with JAT3 framework, but I did copied (full copy not special copy) all plugins and templates to every slave site, as template setuo depends on the template folder and plugins.

So, yes, I change the color in the template settings.

But still I dont understand, why works template color setting
- properly with not letter trees
- wrong with using letter trees?

The only difference i the two setup is letter tree, everything else is the same.

Regards, Jozsef
joekker
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Slave site of slave site 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 54
The reason is probably related to the T3 or the template itself that potentially assume to have a "flat name" and not a "letter tree" name to retreive the template folder.

Did you specified something in the "template folder" field ?
If yes, did you put the {deployed_dir}/templates ?
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla