English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Having different "levels" of registered users
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Having different "levels" of registered users
Having different "levels" of registered users 12 Years ago Karma: 0
Hi there!

I have a problem with user sync behaviour that I could not solve with groups or acls right now.

The purpose is to have a website network which shares users.
There is one slave which has a forum (kunena).
And there is another slave which has a community and a forum (jomsocial and kunena).

That's easy so far... and I've got in running till this step.

My problem is: the user registration should be for the whole network (= all slave sites) but... the users should not be created/activated to automatically show as new users in jomsocial or kunena at all slaves.

Another approach to explain my problem: when I register as user on SITE-1 (or anywhere else), my network user is created.
With this user it should be possible to login to any slave site of the network.
But until I login to SITE-2 (where the forum or the community is located) I dont want the user to be added as active new member that shows up everywhere.

I hope I could explain the problem withou too much confusion

Any ideas?

Best Regards,
Bernhard
BSirl
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2012/04/13 15:06 By BSirl.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Having different "levels" of registered users 12 Years ago Karma: 54
Sorry but this is not clear for me.

You start to say that you want to share all the users in all the websites and after you seems to want restrict the access to a specific website.

I suppose that in fact you want to "partially share" the users between the website and have a website that collect all the users information.

If this is the case, have a look to the "Partial User Sharing" extension that allow defining on which website a user has access.
In Joomla 2.5, you can also give different "group level" permission for each user.
www.jms2win.com/en/joomla-multisite?page...52&category_id=1

www.jms2win.com/en/component/docman/doc_...rs-manual-version-11

With this extension, you can have :
Site 1) that store all the user information and in which all users can login.
Site 2) that is a subsite that share partially the user with Site 1 and that have speciific user access
Site 3) That is another subsite of site 1 that can have other restriction for the users.

If you are using Joomla 2.5, you could also mention that site 2 give access to kunena and Site 3 give access to kunena + jomsocial or just kunena.
Create for that "group level" in joomla 2.5.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Having different "levels" of registered users 12 Years ago Karma: 0
Hi! Thanks for your reply.

Well, I am not sure, if the "Parial User Sharing" extension does what I need.

I'll try to point it out again:

Site-1 holds all user accounts (master).
Site-2 is any service site.
Site-3 is a kunena site.
Site-4 is a jomsocial site.

Now a new user registers at site-2.
What happens is that the user account is set up on site-1 which is the master and holds all users.
When I have standard user account sharing, every other site (3 and 4) lists the user as a new member in kunena and jomsocial and so on.

But that is not what I need to have.

The functionality I am looking for is more like this:

After registering at site-2 the user account is set up on site-1 (because it is the master) ... that's okay.
And the user should be able to login at site-3 and site-4 (and every other slave site) with that account - that's okay, too.
BUT: the user should only be listed as a new member on site-3 when he actually really loged in once at site-3.
If he never logs in at site-3, nobody at site-3 should notice him.

So I need something like: a user becomes active at a slave site at the moment, he logs in at this particular site with his already existing master user account.

I hope I could get it a bit clearer now.
BSirl
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Having different "levels" of registered users 12 Years ago Karma: 54
The user registered in site 2 will (by default) have access to the site 2 and the site-1 as this is the place where the users are physically stored.

If you want the the user has also automatically access to site 3 and 4, you can setup the plugin to automatically grant these website to the other website.

If you want that the user has always access to all the websites, you don't need the "partial user sharing".

If you accept to share the users between all the websites then they will be present in all the websites (listed in all the websites).
When you share the user, the "login" status also is shared for all the websites whereever they login. So they will be listed as soon as you have accepted to share their information accross the websites.
The same for the activation or any other action.
Sharing means that the information is present only once and therefore is shared between the websites.

The only thing that can be specific is the "group level" to which a user is shared when you use the "Partial User Sharing".

I hope this is more clear for you what mean the word sharing.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2012/04/18 14:28 By edwin2win.

Re: Having different "levels" of registered users 12 Years ago Karma: 0
Hi there!

Yes, it's clear for me now

Thanks again!
BSirl
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla