English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

where anf how to install master site, how to actua
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: where anf how to install master site, how to actua
where anf how to install master site, how to actua 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,

I purchased your component recently and today i started playing with it just to understand how it works

I suppose i need a master joomla, where i will install the component. This has been done. I am using latest joomla 3.1 and multisites 1.3 medium.

I need to have a site domain.com, domain.gr and domain.fr

Then i need subdomains under each domain of the form site1.domain.com and site1.domain.gr e.t.c

I wanted to know, does the location of the master site has to be relevant to the folders of slave sites? I am planning to use this kind of directory structure for my subdomains
[HOME]/domains/domain.com/subdomains/mysubdomains/public_html

Or i can just install master site anywhere, then just put correct paths for the folders according to the directory architecture above when creating a slave site.

This is something i tried to be honest. master site is installed in a directory, then i created the architecture above and then tried to create a new slave site.
There i received the following error which i believe is misleading, and appears because of folder permission errors

0 DateTime::__construct() [datetime.--construct]: Failed to parse time string (jerror) at position 0 (j): The timezone could not be found in the database

I had this problem in the master site, before i install your component, and i solved it just by giving 777 to the whole directory and sub directory of master site.

Now when creating the slave site i received it again

Can you plerase shed some light

Bets regards

Dinos

I am planning to have a master site which will be empty, and just create slave sites to carry the content. Is this right?
dinaras
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:where anf how to install master site, how to actua 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Ok, i solved some of my problems

The error i described before was in fact a permissions error. I put 777 on new directories, and subdomain slave sites appear straight away.

Regarding the question of Master site, i realised that the master site can be installed anywhere, and the slave site will work ok, if correct folder paths are given

What are the correct permissions that should be given to master site folders, and also the correct permissions for the new folders created to accomodate slave sites?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Dinos
dinaras
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:where anf how to install master site, how to actua 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
The master can be installed anywhere.
We just recommend to put the master in a non-public domains or subdomain and without any specific data. (This is not mandatory but just a recommandation).

The advice is that the slave site are never a subdirectory of something that is public.

For example avoid using the cPanel default subdomain creation that automatically propose you to have also a subdirectory of your primary domain.
The potential issue is for the Search Engine that will see 2 websites with the same content. The first one can be the subdirectory and the other one is the domain or subdomain.

This is the reason why JMS provide sample rules with the directory structure presented in the tutorial video 0.b - slide 21 to 24

This is just recommendation and you can decide to change that.
edwin2win
graph

Re:where anf how to install master site, how to actua 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
edwin2win wrote:
The master can be installed anywhere.
We just recommend to put the master in a non-public domains or subdomain and without any specific data. (This is not mandatory but just a recommandation).

Can you be more specific about the non-public domain? I want to have a master site that has pre-populated content and extensions that will serve as a basis for additional content to be added on each slave site. I don't want my master site to be accessible publicly, however I need to access it in order to manage the core content. I'm not sure how to do that. I'm using cPanel.
axntdsgn
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:where anf how to install master site, how to actua 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
You have replied yourself to your question.

You mentioned that you don't want to have your master website public.
This is what I told you.

Personnally, I also added to avoid storing any content because when you install an extension from the master, you copy its content (and therefore also his content).
So if you just want that slave site are installed with extnesion like they are in the master, you can not put any content.

To avoid that anybody can access your master domain, you can also add a htaccess with a password.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla