English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

My first slave site in domain directory
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: My first slave site in domain directory
My first slave site in domain directory 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,

Joomla 3.1.5 and latest mutisite 1.3. I want to create a new site as a domain directory (my first experience)

Master wiki.com
slave wiki.com/world

I want to assign the new site folder under public_html/domains/world so I have created folders domains and then under that world in my master site public_html

When I created the slave site, I have got

- You can now declare the new domain or subdomain (wiki.com/world) with the document root
'/home/wiki/public_html/domains/world'.
- When the HTTP Server (apache or IIS or other) is updated via cPanel or other admin tool, you can access your new website.
- When you have defined a fresh slave site, you will receive a Joomla web installer.
- Please use a new db prefix for each site and NEVER use 'jos' as prefix or if you want to keep 'jos' as prefix, create as many databases than you have sites.

I have created new DB and entered all the information in relation to that.
In List of domain names, I have just put mydomain.com/world where mydomain.com is the master joomla site
I have chosen Fresh Slave subdirectory as template
I have chosen all the countries and continents and browsers, everything else default
In deployed directory I have put /home/wiki/public_html/domains/world

Now if I browse to mydomain.com/world

I get a 404 page of article not found!

If i browse to httpu://mydomain.com/world/administrator

I get a 404 page of category not found!

What I am doing wrong?

Thank you.
amir00251
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2013/08/17 17:33 By amir00251.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:My first slave site in domain directory 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Just an update on the issue,

I did check my directory public_html/domains/world and I see copy of the whole master site (copy of PHP, it is not link back, same files and folders present).

if i browse to wiki.com/domains/world I get the site with no css?

Maybe a question I should ask is that if I want to have a slave site in a subfolder of master site, apart from creating folders, do I still need to create a subdomain through Cpanel?
amir00251
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:My first slave site in domain directory 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
1) You mentioned that you create
slave : wiki.com/world that is located public_html/domains/world
master : wiki.com
So I assume that your wiki.com is located in public_html/domains

If you had watched our tutorial video 0.b slide 21-24, our recommendation is not this one.
In your case and when using the default JMS template rules for subdirectories, it is assumed that the directories are
master : wiki.com => domains/wiki.com/public_html
slave : wiki.com/world => domains/wiki.com/public_html/world

In your description you probably have 2 errors.
1) You didn't mentioned the location of the master and I suspect that it is located in /public_html and not in /domains/wiki.com/public_html because you mentioned that you deployed the slave site into /home/wiki/public_html/domains/world that is wrong.

If wiki.com is your primary domain of your cPanel then it is located into /home/wiki/public_html.

2) So the slave site www.wiki.com/world is located into /home/wiki/public_html/world
This would explain why you have an error 404 as you don't have this directory.

Create a subdomain follows another rule that I strongly suggest that you review the tutorial video 0.b that explain the recommended directory structure.
All the default rules provided in JMS template as sample are based on these recommendation.
edwin2win
graph

Hi Edwin,

Thank you very much, I finally got the slave site created but not yet as I would think.

I have a joomla site located at /home/wiki/public_html/ which is centos server.

I want to create a slave site in wiki.com/xxxxx (sub directory).

First I created a folder under /home/wiki/public_html/xxxxx

Second I started new slave site with below information:
List of domain names: wiki.com/xxxxx
Deployed directory /home/wiki/public_html/xxxxx

I left all other settings as default and I input new DB information. Now the slave site has been created www.wiki.com/xxxxx however under xxxxx folder I have all the joomla file and folders exactly copied (it is not a shortcut but a copy of exact directories and files).

Would you please let me know why there is no short cut and master site has exactly copied to the subfolder?

Many thanks.
amir00251
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Hi Edwin,

I have now done another check in Cpanel on the diskspace. The subfolder xxxxx when you look at file manager in Cpanel is like duplicate of the all joomla files, however when I looked at the folder size, it is only 390kb which is a good news seems like the folders and files are now shortcut rather than a real file or folder.

Could you please confirm that this looks fine and it is how it should be. Image below attached for information of subdomain /world

just need clicking if it cannot be loaded, image upload on forum is not working.

amir00251
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2013/08/20 23:20 By amir00251.

Re:My first slave site in domain directory 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
cPanel file manage does not necessarly display the difference between a folder à a link to a folder.

If you know SSH, you can login with SSH and perform
> ls -l

Otherwise, you can also add a new folder or file in a directory of your master (ie. /tmp/test1) and verify that in your slave site the /tmp contain the test1.
If yes, this mean that the /tmp directory is shared with a symbolic link.

You can also try to use a FTP tool but not all FTP tool display the symbolic link as a link and sometime, you have servers that does not display the Symbolic Link at all.
In our case, we are using a very old FTP tool (total commander) that shows the symbolic link correctly.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla